Sundown Audio

Ideas before I rip it apart....

SmallTruk

I've had an annoying high pitch, low volume tone coming from my speakers and narrowed it down to one of the SAZ3000's I have strapped. RCA's disconnected from the amp and the sound is gone.

I also diacovered that if I tap on the case of the amp that's causing the noise it'll make a crackling sound from the speakers with each tap.

Everything was fine until I put in the 2nd amp. Bought it used so I don't know the total history. Anybody have an idea of what inside the amp could be causing this issues?

High pitch noise and a tap induced crackle sounds like a broken/cracked solder joint in the signal path. Pull the cover and look for a bad solder joint at the rca's and through the remaining signal path. Make sure all your grounds are solid.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Finally got a chance to yank it out. Pulled the cover and didn't see any broken joints. Put it back together and hooked it back up to try pinpoint it better. Figured out that if I wiggle the RCAs it'll make the crackling sound. Also found out that if Im holding the RCA and touching the plate they're mounted to I actually got a small shock. I'm guessing that the tone

I'm hearing is AC voltage that's being induced into the RCAs from that one amp. Just need to yank it out again and try pinpoint where it's bad.

Any ideas?

The RCAs on the saz are connected to the board via a set of cables with plugs that go into the board. So with that I'm kinda thinking it's one of the RCA plugs that's tightened on the end cap that's got a bad joint somewhere. Might just swap those pieces from one amp to the other to confirm that's what it is. Easier than taking all the time to re solder only to find out its something else.

my AB 1100.1 made a sound when I would hit bumps in the road.....

the solder joint where they were connected to the board was broke... ARC in ohio found it and fixed it for me ... i couldnt see it was broke

Never saw a cold solder in person, but i had a vew! You couldn´t see cold solder normaly :lol2:

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

So here's what I figured out:

All solder joints around RCAs are good, swapped end cap with RCA's to confirm.

With the RCA piece screwed in place on the amp, it goes into protect. If I remove that piece and just leave the two plugs from the RCA's connected to the board it starts up fine.

The high pitch tone is there when the amp isn't in protect (end piece not screwed in place) but if I ground the outside of one of the RCAs the high pitch tone disappears.

Any idea what's going in here? I know it ain't the RCA's on the amp but I'm thinking it's some type of ground problem in the amp. Help...

I swapped the end piece that holds the RCAs and their soldered connections with the other amp I had and it was fine.

Took it out and checked everything again. Noticed that the power AND protect light are both on. Also, with the end piece in place if I touch the outer metal of the RCA and the case I get shocked. Nothing major but enough to feel it and know its there.

sounds more like your amp has a long lead somewhere that is touching the casing

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.