Well as the title says, caps... Im just curious as to why everyone seems so against these? As your all pretty experienced, could someone break it down for me to understand? Uncle has one of these I know he should get a extra battery instead of having a Cap but what's the reason for this? Thanks for any input

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Capacitors are good for smoothing out ripple in a line. A.k.a. they take the hills and valleys in your voltage and make it more linear. This makes them great in the AC to DC conversion process, but nothing will beat the raw amperage delivery of a battery.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

i dont like caps, simple for the fact its fried more amps then i can count, power builds up in the cap, and when the amp needs it, all that power in the cap surges out to the amp, theres a little more to it then that, but i put that very simply

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Here is an idea. Go into the Rockford Fosgate section, and read the pinned thread. You will find many good posts in there and the repition is bothersome.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

i dont like caps, simple for the fact its fried more amps then i can count, power builds up in the cap, and when the amp needs it, all that power in the cap surges out to the amp, theres a little more to it then that, but i put that very simply

How exactly did this fry your amps?

Check out my build log:

You're drawing power from power you already have.

There is no addition of power there.

Vs another battery/alternator now there is a change in energy/power

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab, 350 Vortec

Things to come at some point...

Build Log: http://www.stevemead...2200ds-133-ohm/

My thought is this

Your cap does not create any energy at all. All a cap does is store and burst energy when it is demanded. This means that your alternator and the rest of your charging system works even between bass hits to keep filling up your cap.

On the other hand, because energy is not being created or destroyed the cap does not really HURT anything it just doesn't HELP anything. I have seen them used on big mids/highs amps to smooth voltage in hopes of increasing SQ which is interesting but I've never tried it.

I think caps can be most efficient in setups where there is plenty of charging system and the cap is not being used as a band-aid to cover up a more deeper problem in your overall charging system.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

My thought is this

Your cap does not create any energy at all. All a cap does is store and burst energy when it is demanded. This means that your alternator and the rest of your charging system works even between bass hits to keep filling up your cap.

On the other hand, because energy is not being created or destroyed the cap does not really HURT anything it just doesn't HELP anything. I have seen them used on big mids/highs amps to smooth voltage in hopes of increasing SQ which is interesting but I've never tried it.

I think caps can be most efficient in setups where there is plenty of charging system and the cap is not being used as a band-aid to cover up a more deeper problem in your overall charging system.

-Drew

perfectly said

and not my amps, i work at a shop and plenty of people come in and say my amp doesnt work, 9/10 the cap fried the amp, or the cap died

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Here is an idea. Go into the Rockford Fosgate section, and read the pinned thread. You will find many good posts in there and the repition is bothersome.

Sorry you find the repition bothersome, but thanks for your input.

Check out my build log:

My thought is this Your cap does not create any energy at all. All a cap does is store and burst energy when it is demanded. This means that your alternator and the rest of your charging system works even between bass hits to keep filling up your cap. On the other hand, because energy is not being created or destroyed the cap does not really HURT anything it just doesn't HELP anything. I have seen them used on big mids/highs amps to smooth voltage in hopes of increasing SQ which is interesting but I've never tried it. I think caps can be most efficient in setups where there is plenty of charging system and the cap is not being used as a band-aid to cover up a more deeper problem in your overall charging system. -Drew

Yeah, it is a SQ system that he has.. well guess if his volts aren't dropping to low doesn't really matter either way as you stated. Thanks.

Check out my build log: