Second Skin Audio

How to tune a wall?

I built this wall but i noticed that it doesnt really hit the low notes very well. the higher notes are amazing. but the low notes are what used to shake my car with my trunk enclosure.

What i was thinking my problem was is either i have way to many air leaks that i need to fix, or the 14 cube box is to big for just two 15" sa

I made a longer port for the wall but it didnt make the lows louder and made the higher notes worse.

The port is 31in tall and 4.5in wide . i have 2x4 on the sides so the port is 4in long

Any opinions?

And or facts?

Walled 2002 buick century A.K.A "Betty sue"

polk 5 1/2 front doors

4 3in pillar speakers

DD 3518's

AQ 3500 v2

90ft of 0/1 ga

tuned to 40hz

:build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/162721-buick-built-in-trunk-fi-sp4-hifonics-2400/

First, that box is HUGE, put 18s in that bitch.

Second, you do not have the transfer fucntion of a trunk to improve on the lows so you need to build it more into the enclosure rather than designing like a traditional box that uses the cabin gain to its advantage.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

First, that box is HUGE, put 18s in that bitch.

Second, you do not have the transfer fucntion of a trunk to improve on the lows so you need to build it more into the enclosure rather than designing like a traditional box that uses the cabin gain to its advantage.

-Drew

Well i was going to do 2 18's but wouldnt 4 15s have more cone area and in turn get louder?

And what do you mean by build it more into the enclosure?

I made a 15in long port earlier and it sounded like boo boo lol how long should i go?

Edited by Nivram

polk 5 1/2 front doors

4 3in pillar speakers

DD 3518's

AQ 3500 v2

90ft of 0/1 ga

tuned to 40hz

:build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/162721-buick-built-in-trunk-fi-sp4-hifonics-2400/

you said 2 15s in the initial post, not 4...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

No i dont have 4 yett but i built the wall to have 4 15's currently i have 2 they are very loud but they just dont get low like my trunk enclosure did :(

polk 5 1/2 front doors

4 3in pillar speakers

DD 3518's

AQ 3500 v2

90ft of 0/1 ga

tuned to 40hz

YOUR BOX IS TWO TIMES THE RECOMMENDED SIZE.

I think you should start there. Either do two more 15s or build a box for two 15s.

But,

Don't expect two 15s in 14cuft to sound like four 15s in 14cuft

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Yea i know the box is doubled up. i made it that way to someday upgrade and get 2 more 15's then it would allow each sub 3.5 cf but for now i only have 2.

So im assuming thats the reason i cant get low is because the box is to monster.

polk 5 1/2 front doors

4 3in pillar speakers

DD 3518's

AQ 3500 v2

90ft of 0/1 ga

tuned to 40hz