Second Skin Audio

The differences between Sealed, Ported and Bandpass boxes

winisdtj.jpg

The red line represents a 6th order for 2 8's. the rear chamber is tuned to 25hz, the front 60hz (2:1 ratio)

The blue line represents a 4th order for 2 8's. ported chamber tuned to 50hz (2:1 ratio)

the green line represents a ported box for 2 8's tuned to 36hz

the pink line represents a sealed box for 2 8's

this graph is showing the loudness (SPL) of the same 8 inch subwoofers over different frequencies in 4 different types of boxes

this is a very generalized reference i made so you can see the basic differences between the types of boxes.

as you can see both the 4th and 6th order both get louder than the ported and sealed boxes, but their frequency response (bandwidth/passband) is much narrower and peakier. they both roll off sharply after their peak frequency.

So what does this mean?

ported and sealed boxes can be more musical, and play a wide range of frequencies (somewhat) consistently.

Whereas 4th and 6th order bandpass boxes peak at a higher DB level, but can be peaky and fairly inconsistent. Keep in mind that everything changes once you put it inside a car, theory and reality are very different.

there are plenty of exceptions in every situation, and for that reason the numbers in this graph are irrelevant.

Edited by 412 CVX

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Designed properly, a ported box can get the flat response of a sealed box, but with extra db's and better deep bass.

Somebody should pin this topic

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)