Second Skin Audio

Sealed Box Stuffing?

I stumbled upon this while reading up on some enclosures.

Stuffing a sealed box with a fibrous material can increase the low end output apparently. Is this really true? I've never heard of this. Itd be nice considering I don't have any room for a bigger or ported box

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

4 cubes tuned to about 34hz

DC 3.5k

1/0 Welding Supply Ultra Flex

Stock 140A alt

Stinger Fuses & Fuse Holders

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000

its maybe the easiest way to "increase" the volume. it actually alters the rate that the air inside the box changes temperature. lets use a sealed box as an example-

when your cone is at rest, the pressure inside the box is considered ambient. when the cone goes in, the pressure inside the box goes up. when you pressurize air, the temperature goes up. when the cone goes out, the pressure inside goes down, and temperature goes down. we're not talking about a couple of degrees, its generally a very small temperature change.

but once you add polyfill or fiberglass insulation, or something of that sort, it absorbs and radiates the heat at a different rate than just air. its a slower rate very similar to having more air, just like having a bigger box. it only works because there is so much surface area in proportion to mass, and finer materials tend to work better.

But the problem is it reaches diminishing returns quickly and will only work up to a certain point. Last time I looked into stuffing it was about 1 lb/ft^3

Edited by Jlan Thr Smth

Very interesting. I read that it increases output up to 40%. I might give this a try. Where would I get the material. An also, is it subwoofer safe? I don't want to burn em up due to lack of ventilation haha

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

DC 3.5k

Stock 140A alt

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000

Very interesting. I read that it increases output up to 40%. I might give this a try. Where would I get the material. An also, is it subwoofer safe? I don't want to burn em up due to lack of ventilation haha

I don't know about 40% but pillow stuffing or known more specifically as PolyFill can be purchased from walmart/craft stores for cheap. Yes the subwoofer is safe I wouldn't worry about anything burning up. I don't recall where it starts hitting diminishing returns.. I would start off at 1 lb/ft^3.. Someome could chime in probably. It will not increase the volume a whole lot but in some cases it can really help with the low end.. I would tell you to not get you hopes up too high as the change in sound may be minimal.

Wow.....

Ok yeah, the poly fill would have an extremely small effect on tempterture differential but is NOT what's causing the desired effect.

What's causing the desired effect is a decrease in standing waves. The back waves from the cone are dispersed and slowed down, causing the driver to act as if it's in a slightly bigger box while maintaining the compression needed for cone control at high excursion.

Wow.....

Ok yeah, the poly fill would have an extremely small effect on tempterture differential but is NOT what's causing the desired effect.

What's causing the desired effect is a decrease in standing waves. The back waves from the cone are dispersed and slowed down, causing the driver to act as if it's in a slightly bigger box while maintaining the compression needed for cone control at high excursion.

Not to call you out, but to get standing waves especially at such low frequencies wouldn't the volume of the car have to be huge? You really don't see standing waves in a car... more in home audio..

From what I've read stuffing is based soley on the principle of accoustical energy being turned into thermal energy, albeit very small change.

Wow.....

Not to call you out, but to get standing waves especially at such low frequencies wouldn't the volume of the car have to be huge? You really don't see standing waves in a car... more in home audio..

From what I've read stuffing is based soley on the principle of accoustical energy being turned into thermal energy, albeit very small change.

yes, you can still get standing waves inside a sealed box at low frequencies. imagine a bathtub full of water and the waves on the water are hitting the edges, coming back, hitting the opposite edge, and coming back, etc. Should give you a good visual of what's going on inside a sealed box.

Hmmm great stuff guys, thanks for the input

we'll do you guys think it would be worth the trouble? I'm really lacking on the low end

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

DC 3.5k

Stock 140A alt

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000