I am in the process of soldering ring terminals on 1/0 ga knu wire and for some reason its giving me a hell of a hard time...

it takes forever as it is to get the damn knu wire into the terminal and then i put the torch on the back of the terminal for a bit to heat it up. I have done this before with help and no issues... Then the solder starts flowing into the wire for a bit then the solder just stops and sticks before i get the whole top done. Even with all that solder in there its not dripping out the bottom or anything. after im done theres this brown and yellow liquid gunk on top of my solder which bugs me and the terminals keep discoloring and looking like total crap :(. I am using a 1 inch flame, 60 40 solder 2% flux and also extra flux "lead free" (white cream) on top od all that and its still being stubborn.. I can deal witht he look as it can be dressed up but i dont want to sacrifice current/connection. any help would be great before i rip my damn hair out lol

Ive noticed that the cheaper ring terminals will discolor, Seems like the Stinger terminals do not discolor much.

I think the problem you are having is that you are not keeping it hot enough, I dont know what kind of flame you are using but I use a propane torch or map, depends what bottles I have on hand at the time.

Ive noticed that the cheaper ring terminals will discolor, Seems like the Stinger terminals do not discolor much.

I think the problem you are having is that you are not keeping it hot enough, I dont know what kind of flame you are using but I use a propane torch or map, depends what bottles I have on hand at the time.

Yeah i got the terminals from Knukoncepts.. also im using a propane toch full size. Will the discoloring hurt the connection?

Yeah i got the terminals from Knukoncepts.. also im using a propane toch full size. Will the discoloring hurt the connection?

The discouler doesn't effect anything, it's due to you heating up the metal. As audio said, doesn't happen much with stinger terminals as much because their most likely of thicker metal. It keeps sticking because your heat isn't hot enough. Happens when your welding as well. If you get a peice of sand paper, sand the metal the discolor will come right off and be shiny again :) no worries.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

i got this liquid flux stuff that's for all metals even aluminum.i didn't have any problems soldering my terminals on the cca that i have.

Edited by ineeDBass419

xbox 360 gamertag-greenrocks420

Not insulting you or anything, but did you just call us "bloody winging fairies" ?

No its Kolossus ofc. I use a huge blob of flux it sizzle into the wire then i use the solder but for some reason somtimes it will go into the wire for a second and then just clump up on the top and fall off in a mess... getting annoying. Did that last one i did and i put the heat directly on it and it seeped into the wire but sometimes that wont even work it just burns everyhing else and not the solder.... FML

ive always soldered and i never have problems with CCA wire taking solder.

sounds like the main problem is heat like the others have said. when the solder stops melting, you need more heat.

even though you have a hard time getting the wire in the terminal, there is still lots of extra space in there. put the terminal in a vice to smash it down. it doesnt need to be as tight as a crimp, your just taking up space. then solder. often times, i dont see solder come out of the bottom of the terminal. more likely it flows out of the seam on the side or it just overflows. it takes a good deal of solder to make this happen. ive never had to use extra flux. the brown crap on top of the terminal is your flux pooling up. you can always take a metal brush and clean that off.

keep practicing. my first terminals didnt look good either.

edit: is it silver solder? that shit needs tons of heat to get it to flow. I wont even use that stuff.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

No its not silver. its lead/tin. Also I found my problem was that there was a pretty cold breeze outside that was fighting the torch. I went over to a freinds basement and finished them in there and it worked fine. Also didn't help that my torch nozzle is cheap and dosen't dispurce the flame very well. Thanks for all the input.