Sonic Electronix

Getting un-clipped music to play on subs?

sooooo assuming if I tune my sub amp with a -6db tone that -6db tracks will play the best..what methods should I use to edit my music on audacity to make my music as pure and un-clipped as possible? Guessing Decaf would be the man to ask about this haha

sooooo assuming if I tune my sub amp with a -6db tone that -6db tracks will play the best..what methods should I use to edit my music on audacity to make my music as pure and un-clipped as possible? Guessing Decaf would be the man to ask about this haha

Your assumption is correct in that it would be the same as saying you set sub amp with 0dB that 0dB songs would "play the best"

There's no specific "method" that works because every song is different and recorded at different levels. Learn what distortion sounds like, learn what clipped kick drums sound like, and finally learn how clipping bass changes the mids/highs so you can pick out the unwanted sounds. Using WMP Oscope helps visual clipping while your ears listen to it, its a good training tool. I suggest to purposely clip tracks using the WMP graphic equalizer...boost 31/62hz +6 to +12dB so you can hear what happens when songs are clipped badly.

I've stated all effects I use in the "teach me about audacity" thread in this section. Bigpimpn/Autruche(?) added in info in addition to what I posted.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Your assumption is correct in that it would be the same as saying you set sub amp with 0dB that 0dB songs would "play the best"

There's no specific "method" that works because every song is different and recorded at different levels. Learn what distortion sounds like, learn what clipped kick drums sound like, and finally learn how clipping bass changes the mids/highs so you can pick out the unwanted sounds. Using WMP Oscope helps visual clipping while your ears listen to it, its a good training tool. I suggest to purposely clip tracks using the WMP graphic equalizer...boost 31/62hz +6 to +12dB so you can hear what happens when songs are clipped badly.

I've stated all effects I use in the "teach me about audacity" thread in this section. Bigpimpn/Autruche(?) added in info in addition to what I posted.

Alright cool I'll deff check out that thread and so I've been playin around with wmp for a little bit here I'm using the scope and got the equalizer open should i be setting every frequency to my desired db e.g -6db?

Alright cool I'll deff check out that thread and so I've been playin around with wmp for a little bit here I'm using the scope and got the equalizer open should i be setting every frequency to my desired db e.g -6db?

No. Im suggesting to ruin the song while its playing to see what it looks like so you do not "edit" songs that are terrible candidates to start.

You cannot get all of your songs to be at -6dB, not possible. When setting gains you use a tone that is the average of the music you play. Plenty of times songs straight from a CD will be louder than -6dB resulting in a bit of clipping, which every single one of us does everyday. Even if you set gains with 0dB you can still play a terribly clipped song and the amp will produce the amplified clipped signal. 0dB is the safest setting but you compromise the loudness because very few songs are at 0dB all the time. Most songs are between -10dB and -5dB.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

No. Im suggesting to ruin the song while its playing to see what it looks like so you do not "edit" songs that are terrible candidates to start.

You cannot get all of your songs to be at -6dB, not possible. When setting gains you use a tone that is the average of the music you play. Plenty of times songs straight from a CD will be louder than -6dB resulting in a bit of clipping, which every single one of us does everyday. Even if you set gains with 0dB you can still play a terribly clipped song and the amp will produce the amplified clipped signal. 0dB is the safest setting but you compromise the loudness because very few songs are at 0dB all the time. Most songs are between -10dB and -5dB.

ahh gotcha ok last question lol I see in the equalizer when you adjust one frequency it automatically moved the ones next to it is it supposed to be like that? and also so if I have a song that has clipping in it is there a way to "un-clip" the lower frequencies my subs would play in wmp?

ahh gotcha ok last question lol I see in the equalizer when you adjust one frequency it automatically moved the ones next to it is it supposed to be like that? and also so if I have a song that has clipping in it is there a way to "un-clip" the lower frequencies my subs would play in wmp?

there are three options on the far left under turn on/turn off. pic the top option so you can individually move each.

no, you cannot remove clipping, you can lower the amplitude but it will be the same waveform.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

there are three options on the far left under turn on/turn off. pic the top option so you can individually move each.

no, you cannot remove clipping, you can lower the amplitude but it will be the same waveform.

okay so basically alls I can do is get music that is unclipped in the first place basically and check the music I already have to see what is unclipped do you have an explanation or any good links for how to look at an o-scope and see clipping?