Source volume and gain question.

Ok so I have a quick question..

Say I set my gains using a DMM and a test tone on a CD.

Let's also say i set the volume on the HU at 28/35 when I do this.

Now I should be alright if I dont turn the HU past 28 with a cd. ( I know it's not perfect without a oscope but it's close).

But here's where my question is what if I use a different source such as an android phone via aux. My phone plays significantly lower than a cd, so to achieve what was previously 28 volume I have to turn the HU higher.

Wouldn't I still be clipping past 28, even at a lower volume?

Or a second source I could use is an iPod via USB which is a little bit louder than a CD ( these are using the exact same audio file might I add). If I turn the volume to 28 the iPod will be louder than the CD.

Would I be risking clipping due to the higher volume or does source volume not matter if I'm staying below the set volume of 28 ?

2008 Mazda 3s sport

HU: Kenwood DDX318

Mids and Highs: OEM, upgrading soon.

Mids and High Amp: adding soon

Sub: AA Arsenal 2ft^3 @ 31 hz

Sub Amp: BRZ1200.D w/ RF OFC 4 gauge.

Big 3: Knukonceptz CCA FLEKS 0/1

Alt: Mechman 220a

Source: Ipod classic

I would pick one method, usb or aux. then test your headunit again with the dd1 while using that source then remember that volume when you use that source

the other sources can clip. best thing to do IMO, is record a test tone track onto each source and check the CD player's output with a DD-1 or o-scope. That way you know what is happening rather than guessing.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

you can also check the aux out on your phone (using the dd-1) with with a headphone to rca adapter.

Edited by strangeduck

yup, i just figured if he was going to be checking multiple inputs it would be easier to keep it plugged up to the output of the H/U rather than to keep switching. :)

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

i would stick to a usb using a ipod with the ipod 30 pin dock connector. aux has always sounded worse in my opinion. and ive heard that when using the 30 pin dock connector to ipod/iphone that the signal is not amplified or "boosted"

just what ive heard. i may be wrong though.

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

it depends. my stock radio let the ipod do it's own converting and the ipod sent an audio signal through the dock connector. the only thing the radio did was control the ipod.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

yup, i just figured if he was going to be checking multiple inputs it would be easier to keep it plugged up to the output of the H/U rather than to keep switching. :)

I agree completely, but the o.p. made it sound like he does switch back and forth, I just figured he could eliminate clipping there by check it too.

I agree completely, but the o.p. made it sound like he does switch back and forth, I just figured he could eliminate clipping there by check it too.

yup you would be right :) woohoo!

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

I believe Ricky is right about an aftermarket head unit and USB iPod/iPhone. I haven't had problems yet using cd or iPod/iPhone, they both sound the same

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!