1994 Ford F350 CC Build- Stalled out for a bit! Sorry!

Thanks guys!

Ok, Lunch time! Here we go!

So first off, let me just explain, that the reason I take the pictures with the measurements is for this purpose. I can look at those pictures, and get my references on how to do the designs and mock ups on sketch up. Also, even though there's some chatter between, you guys could go back and look at them as well.

So this isn't much, but it's the base of the area I have to work with. It goes on the floor in the place of the center console seat, and the dash. There is a stick shifter there, which is what the cut out is for on the design, but the stick itself is for the 4WD.

CenterConsoleFloorBaseTop.jpg

This shows the angle of the floor going up towards the dash.

CenterConsoleFloorBaseSide.jpg

Now here is the mid bass enclosure. Remember this will house the 2 DC Audio LVL 2 8's. This enclosure is right at .81cu ft sealed, and is divided so each side is it's own chamber.

CenterConsoleMidBassEnclosureSide.jpg

Where you would look if you sat on the dash LOL

CenterConsoleMidBassEnclosureTopFront.jpg

Rear Seat Driver Side View

CenterConsoleMidBassEnclosureUpperRearSide.jpg

Here's where it gets real, I think! What you're seeing here is a 10" HD monitor for the back seat! This is a straight on view of it!

CenterConsoleRearScreenStraightOn.jpg

CenterConsoleRearScreenUpperRight.jpg

Kind of shows the angle in this pic, although it's not easy to really tell an angle till you've got it in the vehicle. But it's about there, where it's going to be.

CenterConsoleRearScreenSide.jpg

Shhhhhhh, don't look now but it's starting to look like a center console! HEY I SAID DON'T LOOK!

Ok you can look now. Here is the storage compartment, yes I was able to even put one in here with all the stuff going in. This compartment is about 5.5" deep and 13" long. Really good storage area. Got cup holders up front that WON'T BE A DAMN INCH DEEP (EFFING IDIOTS WHO DESIGNED THESE THINGS). Then in the center there will be a little blank area, so to speak, for change and crap like that.

Oh apparently when I did the last save, I didn't save it with the lid on it. So you'll see that in a minute.

CenterConsoleStorageandCupholdersSide.jpg

CenterConsoleStorageandCupholdersFront.jpg

Now is where we get serious. We have some serious decisions to make here! I say WE cause WE're all in this together! Yes I'm building it, but you guys are riding right along with me! So let's figure this out!

Here's the basic blank slate of the dash.

CenterConsoleFrontandDashSide.jpg

From the rear seat

CenterConsoleFrontandDashUpperRear.jpg

Now let's talk options.

OPTION 1:

Now I wasn't going to do this option, but I thought why not design it anyway and see how it looks. To me, It's not bad. Lays out well I think and simplifies the install. Leaves the head unit and the HVAC controls in their original position. Then also the tablet is really more down and out of sight. Sort of! Not bad!

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption1Side.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption1UpperRear.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption1Top.jpg

OPTION 2:

This option is a bit more custom. HVAC controls go out of the dash as well as the head unit, and are both replaced by a custom mount and the tablet. This tablet will be able to actuate out and remove and when ready to go, slide in and actuate in.

Down below it, is where the Head unit will re locate to. It'll center on the console, and stay centered with the tablet. Give it the "all electronic" look. The head unit will be at a bit of an angle, but the instructions say it's good up to a 60 degree angle. We're looking at about 20 here. So I think it will be just fine. It'll be easy to see as well I think.

The HVAC controls will relocate to a spot next to the steering wheel. It's a cubby now, but really I don't ever use is, and with everything else being hacked up, it won't be an issue to do it here as well.

Pics:

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption2Side.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption2UpperRear.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption2Top.jpg

Now the pros and cons with options 1 and 2.

Pros in option 1 are just simplification. No hacking up the dash, things are built outside of the vehicle and are really a one piece thing.

Cons in option 1 are these. I'm not looking for simplified anything. I don't mind getting custom, as you all well know. But the main issue is this. The tablet down there becomes a problem because I want it to look built in while it's in the dock. I don't want to have it just sitting in there. So the issue becomes, how do I get it out of there. I'd have to make a frame and actuate the whole thing so it goes from about a 20 degree angle, to a vertical location to get the tablet to slide out, due to the angle of the dash and how far it sticks out. Really that's the only and main issue.

Pros in option 2: More custom look, nicer on the eyes, and puts the electronics in one place and looks more balanced.

Cons in option 2: There really aren't any. The only con that I can think of is the same with option 1, which I've not gotten too yet. I'll do that now.

Same Con for both option 1 and 2 - I'm planning to install a reverse camera in this beast. It's a pain to back up sometimes, and frankly if I'm towing it would be nice to see the hook up. But, I can't seem to find a way to connect to my tablet for the camera, or it's a pain and expensive to do, so I thought about this.

I bought a 7" HDMI screen for the headrests in the last build. Using a bigger screen in back, I don't need it anymore. But if I were to use it for this camera it would be perfect. I could also connect it and if I get a movie on the tablet that I can't watch from the tablet while in HDMI mode, I can have it routed to the monitor. Killing two birds with one stone.

In these two applications I don't really have any where to put the monitor. I thought about putting it in the ceiling, above the rear view mirror, but I'm not sure if it will fit there. It would have to be custom of course but I'm not scared of that. So it is an option.

Let's move on to the final option!

This is the last option I came up with and frankly I like it the best!

OPTION 3:

It's pretty much a modified version of Option 2. The head unit slides over, and the monitor goes on the passenger side right next to it. BADA BING!!

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption3Side.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption3Rear.jpg

CenterConsoleFrontandDashOption3Top.jpg

If you look at the second picture here, it just shows, it looks balanced even though there are so many pieces in there. I like it alot.

I thought of a couple other options.

1) moving the monitor to center, and the head unit below it - Just didn't work for me. The head unit is gonna be real far down and not sure how it would work.

2) moving the monitor to center, moving the HVAC controls to the ceiling or storage area, and the head unit to the cubby area where the HVAC controls are looking to go now.

The cubby next to the steering wheel, here:

Untitled.jpg

Don't really like the flow of that, and I think the head unit is too far down and out of the way. I think it wouldn't flow very well.

3) HVAC controls stay in that cubby, and the head unit goes to the ceiling above the rear view mirror. Big custom job there!

So there it is. That's what's up for debate! The sides will get a trim piece that will be curvy. I just wasn't going to d it now on sketch up. I'll do it later if I have more time. But try and use your imagination for it.

So I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Weigh in on it! Thanks for tuning in! We're getting closer to a start on this! This is really the last of the design phase. When I get this decided, I'll be only waiting on time!

I like option 1 best and as for your question about removing the tablet the way I have Josh designing it is simple my tablet is in the location you're thinking about this way my HVAC controls and HU stay put and I don't have to deal with my dash and the best part I can build and test everything outside of the car before installing. I asked josh to make a slit on the driver side that would allow me to remove the tablet by sliding it out. Nothing mechanical which makes life simple and cheaper in the end. It can still look completely custom and flush mounted in the end. Best part for me is the fact that my AC vents don't get affected, I also have about 3 components that need to slide in and out along with my tablet so Option 1 was Option 1 and only in my center console design. The fluidity of it works better as and I think it's easier not only having the tablet in arms reach but also away from the glare of the sun. Plus if you want to get all fancy like I am sure you will you can make it tiltable from the Option 2 set up just saying :peepwall:.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

I don't know I'll have to keep looking at them side by side. I still like 3, but I also like the simplicity of 2. There are also going to be two bass knobs in there some where, probably a volt meter or two in there as well. So little details will fill it up also.

I don't know I'll have to keep looking at them side by side. I still like 3, but I also like the simplicity of 2. There are also going to be two bass knobs in there some where, probably a volt meter or two in there as well. So little details will fill it up also.

I like 3, looks like it have everything

2001 Ford Expedition

2 SA 12's

Crescendo 2000

M.E.C.A. 141.4 DB

Archived