Sonic Electronix

[Please Help] Head Unit install gone wrong

Did you tap into a random hot wire to power your HU? I doubt it's an issue with an unconnected ground. If it were, your radio wouldn't turn on.

Check your wiring before you go replacing the fuse. Fuses blow for a reason.

well im sure it is useing the antanna as a ground. (bad idea) so the ground needs to be hooked back up. check for any bare or chaffed wires behind the radio and the blown fuse will be under the hood or under/on the side of the dash.

OK, so the OP's ground wasn't connected. How can it be the cause of a blown fuse? I think the issue is elsewhere because if there is no ground, the radio isn't completing a circuit. you need a circuit to conduct electricity and you need to conduct more electricity than a fuse is rated for to blow it.

I'm sure he WAS completing a circuit with the way his radio was wired. Ground will come from the antenna or RCAs or just by the chassis of the radio touching metal bracing.

Seriously, something is screwy behind the dash. Either it's a pinched wire, or the OP tapped into a preexisting wire that supplies current to his dash. In any case, it's in his best interest to correct the problem before just replacing the fuse and calling it a day.

It's worth saying again. Fuses blow for a reason.

Replacing a fuse over and over is like knocking up chicks all the time and having 20 Child support payments. It's so much easier just to get a vasectomy and fix that shit for good.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

That last line srp365 is... quoteworthy. I've blown multiple fuses just installing a head unit. It happens, you touch one wire to another and pop! No biggie. But like he's saying, don't just go at it again and again. We call that insanity.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

Did you tap into a random hot wire to power your HU? I doubt it's an issue with an unconnected ground. If it were, your radio wouldn't turn on.

well im sure it is useing the antanna as a ground. (bad idea) so the ground needs to be hooked back up. check for any bare or chaffed wires behind the radio and the blown fuse will be under the hood or under/on the side of the dash.

OK, so the OP's ground wasn't connected. How can it be the cause of a blown fuse? I think the issue is elsewhere because if there is no ground, the radio isn't completing a circuit. you need a circuit to conduct electricity and you need to conduct more electricity than a fuse is rated for to blow it.

I'm sure he WAS completing a circuit with the way his radio was wired. Ground will come from the antenna or RCAs or just by the chassis of the radio touching metal bracing.

Seriously, something is screwy behind the dash. Either it's a pinched wire, or the OP tapped into a preexisting wire that supplies current to his dash. In any case, it's in his best interest to correct the problem before just replacing the fuse and calling it a day.

Replacing a fuse over and over is like knocking up chicks all the time and having 20 Child support payments. It's so much easier just to get a vasectomy and fix that shit for good.

yes this is y i said check for bare or chaffed wires. bad grounds WILL work just not well. i have seen amps turn on but not work cuz of a bad ground. amps work but get really hot and shut down from bad grounds so it is relivant. i know how 12 volt electronics work

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

yes this is y i said check for bare or chaffed wires. bad grounds WILL work just not well. i have seen amps turn on but not work cuz of a bad ground. amps work but get really hot and shut down from bad grounds so it is relivant. i know how 12 volt electronics work

Yeah I was sorta agreeing with you. I'm running major asshole-mode today, sorry.

His HU didn't shut down after playing, it went "pop" which goes along with your first "bare or chaffed" wire theory. Unless he's not telling us something bad grounds had nothing to do with this.

OP. Give it to us straight. What did you do. Tell us the truth so we can help you fix it.

2007 Pacifica

Yeah I was sorta agreeing with you. I'm running major asshole-mode today, sorry.

His HU didn't shut down after playing, it went "pop" which goes along with your first "bare or chaffed" wire theory. Unless he's not telling us something bad grounds had nothing to do with this.

OP. Give it to us straight. What did you do. Tell us the truth so we can help you fix it.

right i was just saying a bad ground can do muliple things. possobly pop a fuse. its cool man i get in asshole mode some days too. no harm

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

Homestly guys thanks for the posts. Ive connected all wires properly, soldered and then wrapped with electrical tape. Im just an idiot and idk why but I forgot to connect the ground wire from the HU. Thats all I forgot, so could all my shit could not be working cuz of that? I havent had time to check fuses, will do tomorrow but my remote for the lock and unlock, and dome lights dont work still lol. hopefully its just a fuse cuz all I forgot to do was connect the ground

It sounds to me like there was an illumination wire connected wrong or grounded out. I have been doing car electronics for 20+ years and even I am not infallible. Ive seen even the best installers mess up a time or two. Regardless of how confident you are about your wiring, I would still pull out the hu to verify what (if any other problems there are). Take a pic of the wiring and post it up. Like everyone else say, Im sure there is one or more blown fuses but if thats the case, something had to cause this.

Im pretty sure you are right about the illumination wire, now that I remember I think I left the orange wire out on the wire harness because there wasnt a orange wire on my head unit (Alpine IXA-W404) so where would I connect the orange wire to??

Edit: Also if it was not hooking up the illumination, which fuses would it be? Or what set of fuses? Like under the hood? or inside the car?

o70cw2.jpg

the left side connects to the car, and the right side connects to my head unit. The orange wire from the car wire harness isnt connected to anything because there was no orange wire on the head unit side. Would this cause my problem? If so where would I connect it?

Not all illumination wires are 12v pos signal wires. You can leave this one unconnected safely.

Also, be absolutely sure you know what each wire's purpose is on both harnesses!!!! Don't just match the colors! Get the wiring diagrams.

2007 Pacifica

Archived