Sundown Audio

Amp problem with HIDs

corey0928

I just put my HIDs in today and I noticed when I turn them on it put my amp into protect.

The ballast for the drivers side is located by the power wire under the hood. Could this be the issue? i don't really have any where else to mount that ballast since my battery is a tight fit as it is. The ballast is also located by the fuse box for the car if that makes a difference

It could be like kranny said and get EMI from it. Try to move the ballast as far away from there as you can. I know when i turn mine on i can hear a click of the relays engaging and the ballasts kicking on. When i try to turn on my high beams and its cold out those damn 50w ballasts never both fire up, its one of them that fires until i keep re-igniting them and when that happens i can hear the buzzing until the ballast quits trying to ignite. Other than that i never hear anything for feedback through my speakers at all.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

What happens if you have the vehicle off but the key turned to ACC and manually fire up the lights? does it kick the amp into protect as well? It could be that you are sending too much noise through the power on the amp but its hard to tell without isolating it. Id say to try and take the ballast and have it hang off the side of your engine while you are playing around with it to see if getting it away from the power cable helps it any. Maybe if i can suggest take zip ties or if your ballast has them like futurevision has on mine bolt them up the underside of your front shroud on your vehicle. There should be a ton of spots under there.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Sounds like interference to me. Just try to do a hack job and get the ballasts as far away from power wire as you can. See if that helps, if it does then try to locate a spot far away from the wire where you can mount the ballasts.

Just a quick thought, did you run a relay for each of your hid's or did you plug the ballast straight to the stock wiring that goes to your bulbs?