Second Skin Audio

Impedance question...

I get the nominal resistance will always be lower than rated.

I am just nervous about having 1/3 ohm nominal.

I would be too. With the dual 2 ohm parallel u will see .6 to .7 ohms which is close enough imo

Wrong. Where are you coming up with this??? I doubt you have ever seen a dual 1 ohm sub playing music at 1/3 ohm, or a dual 2 playing at .6-.7

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I would be too. With the dual 2 ohm parallel u will see .6 to .7 ohms which is close enough imo

Wrong. Where are you coming up with this??? I doubt you have ever seen a dual 1 ohm sub playing music at 1/3 ohm, or a dual 2 playing at .6-.7

if you actually paid attention to this whole thread you would see that i got that from his first post were it stated the actual resistance of the voice coil(2 ohm version=1.27 ohms actual) and does it really friggen matter if ive seen a sub playing with that low of resistance i think not, doesnt matter who you are but running an amp that low is can cause overheating and eventual death of the amp not to mention very inefficient and .635 ohms is a lot safer than running .325

Maybe you are the one who did not pay attention. If you would read, you would learn that the .65 is the DC resistance, not the impedance. Those two specs are published on the Fi website - DC resistance and nominal impedance.

He was confused thinking the amp would see .65 per coil, but it will not unless it outputs DC current.

Either way - your stating that dual 2 ohm coils wired in parallel to the amp will be .6-.7 ohms is wrong. Once again, that is the DC resistance, not the AC impedance when an AC signal is applied.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

if you actually paid attention to this whole thread you would see that i got that from his first post were it stated the actual resistance of the voice coil(2 ohm version=1.27 ohms actual) and does it really friggen matter if ive seen a sub playing with that low of resistance i think not, doesnt matter who you are but running an amp that low is can cause overheating and eventual death of the amp not to mention very inefficient and .635 ohms is a lot safer than running .325

Measure the DC resistance of any 2ohm coil and it probably says something similar.

If you (or whoever the OP is) wants .5 at the amp, get a D1 sub. It is as simple as that.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69