engine overheating b/c of larger electrical? Stumped.

Ok, so i have noticed that after installing my new H.O. alt, when playing music on full tilt my engine heat gauge will rise slightly... now this isnt really a problem but when i say, turn the a/c on full blast along with the music it rises to like 3/4 or more which is not good. Also when this happens my a/c is sporadically ice cold then cool or slightly cool. If i turn down the volume the gauge will eventually go back down and things will go back to normal. Also, when im playing music loud for a period of time the fan under the hood near the engine goes into "maximum overdrive" (it sounds louder than usual).

The only possibility i can think of is that the belt is slipping which could make sense because itsis operating the water pump. I didnt replace the stock belt when i installed the new H/o alt, so thats a thought. Im not super car savvy or anything so this could sound completely idiotic to you smarter people.

I have no idea if there is something wrong with my car or whats going on. Anyone ever heard of this?

2008 Mazda 3s sport

HU: Kenwood DDX318

Mids and Highs: OEM, upgrading soon.

Mids and High Amp: adding soon

Sub: AA Arsenal 2ft^3 @ 31 hz

Sub Amp: BRZ1200.D w/ RF OFC 4 gauge.

Big 3: Knukonceptz CCA FLEKS 0/1

Alt: Mechman 220a

Source: Ipod classic

Are you parked? or reving the engine while parked? If you are keeping the rpms up while parked the engine will get hotter as there is no airflow from driving, only a fan. Also the A/C and HO alt all put some strain on the engine so it is working a bit harder with all of those running. But if its getting way out of hand then I would get it looked at. Also, did you check your coolant level?

Do you have an electric fan or mechanical fan?

Check your coolant level?

Radiator fluid level good?

No pinched/blocked channels?

Water pump?

Verify that all fans are working?

Thermostat good?

Your cooling system should be able to keep up with cooling a stock engine with a larger alternator. If it can't something is wrong :)

Edited by SnowDrifter

Do you have an electric fan or mechanical fan?

Check your coolant level?

Radiator fluid level good?

No pinched/blocked channels?

Water pump?

Verify that all fans are working?

Thermostat good?

Your cooling system should be able to keep up with cooling a stock engine with a larger alternator. If it can't something is wrong :)

Yes thats true but the temperature does run hotter while parked then when driving. At least on my car it does w/electric fan. Parked around 104 F and driving is like 90-97 ish.

That might not be his issue though, could be alot of things.

Edited by Amart88

One of the things you can do to help a little bit is exhaust wrap. Helps lower the under-hood temperatures

Also, wouldn't hurt to check your air filter, make sure its not all gunked up. and that there are no pinches in the intake hose.

Edited by Amart88

Im going to check some of the things suggested above, thanks.

And the engine heats up even while driving. It doesnt seem to matter if im stopped or not.

2008 Mazda 3s sport

HU: Kenwood DDX318

Mids and Highs: OEM, upgrading soon.

Mids and High Amp: adding soon

Sub: AA Arsenal 2ft^3 @ 31 hz

Sub Amp: BRZ1200.D w/ RF OFC 4 gauge.

Big 3: Knukonceptz CCA FLEKS 0/1

Alt: Mechman 220a

Source: Ipod classic

did you leave all the stock electrical? and the belt wrap on this car is really good, I have the same engine layout and the alt is wrapped about 180 degrees at least I believe, and this car has a good tension-er

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I would think holding the engine at above idle when parked would lower your temp. The water pump is spinning faster and circulating more water. The small amount of extra heat from the extra fuel is negligible. Since your car is a few years old i would look at your a/c condenser that sits in front of your radiator. Is it full of bugs and crap. Then look between it and the radiator, is it full of bugs and crap? Also, you may just check your water since it may be low or have some build up of rust or minerals from hard water. You could flush the cooling system then refill it and your reservoir. Since you have a/c i would assume you have a 4 core radiator. You could look into that though because if it is a two core or you replaced it with a cheap one you may want to just upgrade it. More water more cooling. One last thing Check the thermostat. You can pull it out and drop it in boiling water, if it opens and then closes after it cools it's good. A lot of this has already been stated i just wanted to confirm.

Your a/c not blowing cool is normal when your engine gets overheated, it does that to lower engine heat. It will also disengage under full throttle or when going up steep heels in a high gear at like 3/4 throttle or so.

Edited by strangeduck