Mechman Alternators

Do my alts turn on and off

Yesterday I was doing some testing on the termlab...matt an eric as you know I have 3 of your alts on my hoe and 6 xs14v batts I got from you guys...well anyways my voltage was at 16.3 then I burped it and it dropped to 15.7 and stayed there..I burp at 2k rpm..I also have 2 banks of maxwell caps that I assume are good for 1 burp then charge up.. my question is I sat there with rpms at 2k to try an get voltage up for 15-20 mins and it didn't....now when I started driving after about 5 mins it went back up... do my alts turn off when hot? I noticed on the freeway or just driving my voltage is golden..but if I'm parked and try and demo it doesn't hold as good even reved to 2k...why is that?

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

No, your alternators do not turn off. It will however take a couple minutes to replenish the (6) battery bank if they are discharge. In order to properly charge those batteries, they should be charged at about 16.8 volts or so. Also, make sure that you are keeping a 14 volt battery charger on them to top them off between rounds, and when the vehicle is in storage.

MAtt

Yes I have intellicharger and I top them off...just curious as to why if I'm driving my voltage will go back up fast as too parked an revved up..is it cause I have kool air blowing through them when driving....as opposed to heatsoaked alts sitting there when idleing

TEAM DC AUDIO

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Not enough batteries for 2 7.5s. The alts can only do so much even if you do have 4 of them, you still need an adequate battery bank so you dont stress the alts to keep up with the current demands of your amps. It sounds like you are draining the batteries reserve so low that the alts cant keep up to get them charged back up. I had 10 D1400s with 2 350a alts on 1 12k with about .3v drop full tilt from 15.9v and I never had this type of issue.

People will disagree with me.. but I believe your alts power your system then batterys are there to pick up when amperage runs out..for example with 1 alt 350a I will drop a full volt when railing on it hard you can actually watch it drop with each bassnote.. with all 3 alts and 1020amp of alt I drop .2 fulltilt... the caps I have will discharge all there power during my burp and take a while to charge up..I talked with eric earlier and we think my alts are becoming heatsoaked sitting there idleing like I said when I drive and they kool off its fine... I wish I had more batterys but as of now I never drop below resting voltage unless I want too.. my system is tuned for 16v and just sounds better..when it drops I can tell the bass is less and the meter confirms this..solution? I have no idea maybe more alts or new ones..

TEAM DC AUDIO

The alts are where the power is created. but there is a delay in that, the alts don't store any power and only create as much as is being used. If you have 0 draw on your system, your alts will produce 0 power no matter what RPM. Of course there isn't a time when you have 0 draw but you get the idea. Batteries help the alts out when the demand is too much OR too quick for alts to keep up with. I would imagine on burps your alts have a hard time keeping up.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69