I Can't do the Big 3 on my car!

Unless I do some major work on my electrical system....

I don't have just a large wire going from my battery to the alternator. I have 8 gauge (or 6) going from my battery to a solenoid. Then there is a harness that comes from the solenoid, and splits off going all sorts of places. In that harness, two 12 or 14 gauge wires go to my alternator, along with a small wire but I forgot what it is ATM. Those two 12 or 14 gauge wires are what power from my alternator to the solenoid, to the battery.

Wire from battery goes to solenoid under here (sorry, honestly didn't feel like popping that off lol)

IMAG0534.jpg

From the solenoid, in a wiring harness, this comes to my alternator, which clips on to the alt, and those two black wires (12 or 14 gauge) are my power for charging my system :( After I took these pics I cleaned up the wiring a little, no longer bent like that.

IMAG0530.jpg

A regulator on my alternator. I fixed those twisted wires VVV

IMAG0531.jpg

And a zoomed out pic of the whole system

IMAG0535.jpg

There isnt another wire attached to the alternator besides the wire that attaches at the harness? mine was on the bottom of the alternator there was like a 10gauge wire going to the batt.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Just leave all that in place and run your wire from the alt to the battery + and then do the ground wire and the rest of the big 3.

Bingo.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

One question though.

Do you have a stud coming out of the back of the alt to connect the wire to run to the battery?

From the photo's you have i don't see one and kinda perplexed why it would not have one.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Just leave all that in place and run your wire from the alt to the battery + and then do the ground wire and the rest of the big 3.

Bingo.

There is no place to put another wire on. I'd have to get a custom alt done with the wiring harness piece AND another spot to bolt a wire on, which mine does not have.

One question though.

Do you have a stud coming out of the back of the alt to connect the wire to run to the battery?

From the photo's you have i don't see one and kinda perplexed why it would not have one.

That's the thing. There is NO stud coming out of the alternator. Those two skinny 12 gauge wires are what power my battery.

PM mechman and see what he says and if he can do anything for you cause that looks like a terrible way to do what they did.

Honestly I don't have the money to get an entire custom alternator right now. I guess I'll just have to leave it. I'm only running a 500 watt RF amp, so it isn't too bad. I just thought I might as well do the Big 3 to help get the most out of the electrical system.

• 2 weeks later...
PM mechman and see what he says and if he can do anything for you cause that looks like a terrible way to do what they did.
Honestly I don't have the money to get an entire custom alternator right now. I guess I'll just have to leave it. I'm only running a 500 watt RF amp, so it isn't too bad. I just thought I might as well do the Big 3 to help get the most out of the electrical system.

Maybe just throw in a small second batt for now. You can get those kinetik hc600 for 50-60$ online and that along with the big3 stopped my voltage drop but I'm running 1000-1100w rms.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Archived