Sonic Electronix

First 2 weeks with Pioneers new AV-8400BH

I recently purchased the new Pioneer AV-8400BH from crutchfield.

As always crutchfield sales and tech support are the gold standard by which all others are judged. But back to the headunit.

There are a few negatives but overall i would say i am very happy with the unit here is the list of things i liked

#1- It is a beautiful head unit both in the dash and how the screen looks.

#2-It is reasonably fast switching app to app and source to source

#3-The iphone controls/interface is PEERLESS. Simply amazing. not only do you get the basic beautiful itunes/iphone screen but you also get the car media app from pioneer which is FANTASTIC.

#4- MOTION X ROCKS!!!!! and you can even buy a upgrade to have FULL functionality on the pioneer head unit

#5- The Pandora interface is wonderful

#6- The sound quality off the head unit is much better than i expected. Currently i do not have an interior which is part of my huge audio build which you can see here, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/137431-scion-tc-daily-driver-to-show-worthy-project/page__fromsearch__1. However i hooked up the head unit to just my one set of components and i must say not bad for a head unit SQ wise.

#7-FINALLY a glove box sized manual, IN ENGLISH in ONE manual!!

#8-Not one but TWO usb ports in rear

Ok so onto the negatives

#1- the safety parking is BULLSHIT!!!!! half the functionality is shot unless your parked. literally the navigation kept shutting off when i released the parking break. i understand safety but they took it too far. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a bypass device. i bought this one for 19.95 and it works GREAT!

Amazon.com: Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH Better then PAC TR7: Electronics

#2-The stupid fraking %&$#&^#&*^&%$@%$@@^%#%^%#%$@#%$@^ iphone cable is MASSIVE. now i too did not believe the reviews but it not only is 70 fraking dollars but its ugly and so heavy and thick that is actually sags when locked into the socket. and even with a fraking 70..00 cable the ugly ass usb stubby needs to be extended and the connection of the extension is soooo loose i had to use electrical tape to keep it connected... BOOOOHHHHHH pioneer on the worst cable EVER!!

#3-Last but not least SIRIUS listeners BEWARE. PIONEER HATES YOU!!!. they only give you one TINY line of crappy info text with a hiddeous stupid "i" smack dab in the middle of the screen that you need binoculars to find...SO you make it impossible to use nav while not parked but you will make me squint at one line of crappy text while i am driving but you will give XM people 3 lines.^&$^%$&^$&%#&^#$%$U% FU pioneer!!

is this a front usb input for ipod with no choice for rear?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

N8, all the inputs are located in the rear, with the exception of the SD and CD slot behind the face.

OP, I couldn't agree more about this deck. I'm just waiting for that same relay to get here so I can watch some vids. I absolutely love this deck and it's well worth the price difference (~$100) over the 4400bh.

C9C4C3E8-3F69-494B-94BC-C53A89C67B7F-832

767908B5-3C29-4973-945F-BFBBA1D2C64C-832

Here are some pics rather than looking at catalog images

this is the sirius screen that caused my rant

82374_91145a3bad.jpg

this is the home screen

82375_981059be90.jpg

And the pandora screen.

82376_d98ee9a6a8.jpg

and the ipod screen the main one not the car media app

one

82377_a3dbd0f815.jpg

and a pic of the bag showing all the inputs. they did a nice job input wise this thing can take anything

82378_da777f92d8.jpg

and finally the saving grace of the setup the bypass module

82379_325ef9ff41.jpg

that can be purchased at this link and works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QE03IM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

should be able to go straight to ground with the parking break, on newer models at least from what ive heard, but again im not 100% sure

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

as requested here are some other shots. sorry about the quality of the shots for some reason photos on my friends iphone are nowhere near the quality of mine.....

ok here is a shot of the ipod car media app

82381_40751da4e0.jpg

ok here is a shot of the advanced app radio home screen

82380_5ac23d253a.jpg

the motion X app map screen

82383_61e84abe5a.jpg

the INTRAX map screen

82384_039336704c.jpg

the PHOTOS app for viewing the photos on your iphone

82382_7750b7474a.jpg

the INTRAX traffic incident reporting app

82385_97b92e344d.jpg

the XTRA MILE app

82386_0e86e73559.jpg

the RDIO app

82387_c019276bf0.jpg

the sound equalizer screen

82390_bb84dd97d9.jpg

the netflix app at work

82389_f208cfb18e.jpg

looks very clean and sleep and im a pioneer hater.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

i have been a Kenwood Excelon lover for over 15 years. but after blowing $1000.00 on an excelon 6960 only for it to be one of the biggest turd head units i have ever owned and it is my 13th excelon. so i decided to give pioneer a shot and besides my listed complaints its great. The sound countouring is not great but i have several devices that make headunit sound contouring unnecessary

Archived