DC Sound Lab

killed a level 6 coil

lol sorry ive been busy just got on here i guess first box is 7^3 with 2 6" aeros 12"s long. i did a 49 at 44 and then went back up and was at 147 midway though a sweep and then amp went into protection and then it came out and then i did a little demo at full tilt and then it blew sub and amp were cool and nothing on fire lol... as i was looking at it and tinsels on spiders were fine but at the coil it literally burned through where the tinsel lead goes through the former and then the leads both sides are the same and the coil isnt black or even brown it wasnt clipping at all and volts were at 12.4 at full tilt so dont blame tht i have the pic at the bottom would this be dc screw up or could it of been me? IMAG0281.jpg

Edited by gredysra

89 Ford Bronco 2

6 DC XL M2 12's

1 DC 9K

Dual Singer Alts

7 Xs D3100s & 1 D6500

All Audio Techinx OFC 1/0

Doing 55s at 26hz!!!

i thought it wouldnt blow up or break so thts y i bought it so thts y its 850 shipped to its new home im not pissed at rusty or anything but its only 5k and it burned copper through so at least was hot but it wasnt at all the dust cap just legit cold

89 Ford Bronco 2

6 DC XL M2 12's

1 DC 9K

Dual Singer Alts

7 Xs D3100s & 1 D6500

Doing 55s at 26hz!!!

That is caused by clipping. If you used anything other than the 0db tone, I can almost guarantee that you are clipping. If you are burning through the former, there is clipping in there somewhere that is causing that heat.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

that is usererror on the coil. ANYTHING that happens on the windings like that, its user error. could be the box, could be the sweep you did (remember, lower frequencies can do that to the coil and burn it exactly how your coil looks like. i played my old sub too low and did the same shit, amp went to protect mode too...and of course. CLIPPING).

edit - dam you CJ. lol jk

Edited by carlosg_313

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

at .5 im thinking the first time when i was getting metered it maybe just broke connection a little bit maybe and so i turned amp off and back on it was green so i got out of the lanes and parked and i played a song at about a third of full tilt and it shut off and then i was like wtf looked everything over and couldnt see anything wrong and went back to watching after trophys me and my buddy went to the car amp was green i played welcome back decaf about 25 secs on full tilt and it went in protection and nothing was hot so i was like screw it and mess around with it in the morning got up started car amp was green and no sub i ran the coils and they were open on both coils took sub out looked it over kept reading open so checked to c if i could get recone and kurt said two weeks so i cut it up and seen the coil and thts my day play by play

89 Ford Bronco 2

6 DC XL M2 12's

1 DC 9K

Dual Singer Alts

7 Xs D3100s & 1 D6500

Doing 55s at 26hz!!!

sounds like almost the same story except i was playing a song down to mid 20s, box was tuned to 29hz and smelled like burnt for few mins. continue playing other songs around in the 30s and poof!!, went to protect mode every time i wanted to bump it and found the same thing on that pic, BUT the few winds on the top came off. i will have pics tomorrow of its happening. but i had a atmost exo 18 on a bc3500 wired to 1 ohm...

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman