Sonic Electronix

Car: '96 Honda Accord

Amps vbglossarlink.gif: JL 1000/1 and JL 300/4

Wiring: Big 3 done. Kicker Hyperflex 1/0 running to distro 4 gauge Kicker to amps vbglossarlink.gif

Battery vbglossarlink.gif: Sears Die Hard Platinum (supposed to be the same as Odyssey and Stinger)

Alt: DC Power 180amp

Mod done to keep alt in 'high output' mode (ELD workaround)

Ok, voltage to my amps is getting too low. My amps will stop playing at higher volumes. What's kinda weird is the 300/4 will shut off before the 1000/1. The voltage will drop down to the upper 9's on bass hits. My lights of course dim. I have upgraded everything I have been advised to (see list above). I am in the 'better alt' vs. more battery vbglossarlink.gif/caps camp. I prefer to solve the power problem at the source if possible. The alt is the one area I just can't be sure about. I don't know if it is putting out what it is supposed to. It has been suggested on another forum that I have 'belt slip' but I just don't think that is it. Some have suggested I have a ground problem but I have switched grounds around and taken measurements and I have continuity between the ground and battery. I am considering running my ground wire all the way to the battery. I am almost to the point of wanting to give up here. My system is not that powerful but I seem to have these low voltage problems. I have read about more powerful setups that are on stock electrical that don't seem to have these issues. I would like to solve this once and for all if I can. Help

You'd have better luck posting in the electrical/wiring section.

But I'm leaning towards really messed up settings on the amps, or more likely a ground issue. Sanded to bare metal? Is it better than on a seatbelt bolt or a piece of thin sheet metal?

Is this voltage drop with the car at idle or revved?

Listen for belt slip, and apply a load and see if you get voltage spikes/drops with a dmm, if you do, your belt is slipping because of the increased pull from the alt.

Archived