Second Skin Audio

neewb question

to my knowledge....

to find your port area, it is simply the height*width of the port opening (or pi*r^2 for round ports). the other question, as i interpret it, is about port displacement. this is fuzzy even for me, because i have heard a couple of different answers from many, many people. Answer 1: the blue+pink area volume (l*w*d/1728) is the port displacement to be accounted for. Answer 2: the pieces of wood you actually use to make the port account for port displacement..say the long part of the "L" of the port is 20" and the short part of the "L" of the port is 5". take the wood thickness (typically 3/4") and use that number as width, then plug into the formula...so w*l*d/1728 or .75*l*d/1728...remember this method the measurements are the measurements of the actual wood used to make the port.

As far as which of the 2 methods is corret to find port displacement, i am still not 100% sure, but from what i gather from what others are doing...i think answer 1 is more accurate...

hope that helps...probably only made it more confusing...lol

p.s. i love smd too..lol :D;)

i likes me some audio stuff...

I always account for the wood used to make my slot ports.

my current box build Im doing for the RedBaron the port is 4 x 31 = 126^2 of port area.

the length is 31" so then I calc it with the thickness of the wood example:

4.75 x 31 x 31= 2.6 cubes of port displacement.