I need electrical advice

MODS: Please delete/merge my original thread in the 'general audio' section.

Car: '96 Honda Accord

Amps vbglossarlink.gif: JL 1000/1 and JL 300/4

Wiring: Big 3 done. Kicker Hyperflex 1/0 running to distro 4 gauge Kicker to amps vbglossarlink.gif

Battery vbglossarlink.gif: Sears Die Hard Platinum (supposed to be the same as Odyssey and Stinger)

Alt: DC Power 180amp

Mod done to keep alt in 'high output' mode (ELD workaround)

Ok, voltage to my amps is getting too low. My amps will stop playing at higher volumes. What's kinda weird is the 300/4 will shut off before the 1000/1. The voltage will drop down to the upper 9's on bass hits. My lights of course dim. I have upgraded everything I have been advised to (see list above). I am in the 'better alt' vs. more battery vbglossarlink.gif/caps camp. I prefer to solve the power problem at the source if possible. The alt is the one area I just can't be sure about. I don't know if it is putting out what it is supposed to. It has been suggested on another forum that I have 'belt slip' but I just don't think that is it. Some have suggested I have a ground problem but I have switched grounds around and taken measurements and I have continuity between the ground and battery. I am considering running my ground wire all the way to the battery. I am almost to the point of wanting to give up here. My system is not that powerful but I seem to have these low voltage problems. I have read about more powerful setups that are on stock electrical that don't seem to have these issues. I would like to solve this once and for all if I can. Help

How do you know your belt isn't slipping? Did you keep the stock belt when installing the new alt? Thats my very first guess.

bc he prolly dont hear a massive screaming under the hood

check grounds make sure they are solid (no grounding to seatbelt bolt or someshit)

and 9v..wow a battery is fully discharged at 10.5v im amazed you have not fried anything

I would take it to a reputable shop asap and have them check it out for you. It will cost you but take it to a pro before it ends up costing you even more.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

What are you using for your main fuse? I was using a cheap Chinese tube-type POS fuse and had all sorts of bad dimming issues. I replaced the main fuse with an ANL fuse (and block) and my dimming issues are now almost non-existent (except at stupid volumes). My system is comparable to yours, but I don't have the H/O alternator...I'm running the stock unit.

"Cheap, good or fast. You can only pick two out of three."

"Have money? Love story! No money? I'm sorry."

9.8v at idle. No belt squeal that I can tell. I have ground to the main floor pan of course to bare metal. I am using a ANL main fuse and mini ANL fuses in the distro block. Someone mentioned clipping in the other thread. This is a possibility because most of my music mp3's were created before I knew anything about clipping so they were created kinda loud. However, I got a feeling even if I recreate these files with lower volume I will still have a problem when I turn up the volume too loud.

9.8v at idle. No belt squeal that I can tell. I have ground to the main floor pan of course to bare metal. I am using a ANL main fuse and mini ANL fuses in the distro block. Someone mentioned clipping in the other thread. This is a possibility because most of my music mp3's were created before I knew anything about clipping so they were created kinda loud. However, I got a feeling even if I recreate these files with lower volume I will still have a problem when I turn up the volume too loud.

how can you tell if you dont have belt slipping? i dont mean to keep badgering about it, but unless you practically open your hood while you're playing music full tilt (or at least step outside your car and go by the engine bay), i have a hard time believing you dont have slip.

i'll ask again, did you replace your alt belt when you got the dc alt? almost always the HO alts have smaller pulleys than stock, couple that with an old belt, and you have slip.