Second Skin Audio

thoughts on tunning flat responce sa8 or man. specs

Untitledwinisd.png

Untitleda1sa8.png

Untitledsa8john.png

sa8v1.5 on 400wrms each

in trunk facing rear/pord drivers side

all in 3/4,

does in need more bracing or maybe in different places?

thinking of 3/4 round from front wall to port wall?

is it worth kerfing the port on one side between subs to port

Edited by john253a

i currently have them in this box, with no bracing/ no smoothed or radiused port or double front

and i'm reasonable happy,(built it as a test box for tune and port size)

just looking to optimize its performance a bit,

the above measurements may look a bit strange on new box but there a combination on metric and imperial

Untitle1-1.png

WinISD does not factor in car cabin gain, so it would be hard to predict a true flat resopnse from those curves.

Sealed typically gives a fair flat response in cars since the rollof of sealed cancells out cabin gain, 4th orders, can be setup to give a flat response (around 1:1) up to about the tuning frequency of the ported chamber.

In ported mainly you can avoid the enclosure to peak in many ways including lowering the net volume and properly tuning BUT will loose output.

A parametric EQ is another way to tweak response.

The only 8"s ive ever had were sealed, used as low/mid drivers(lowpass 160/ highpass 80 on a 24db slop in conjunction with 15"s)

most of the box ive build were for 12 and 15 all around 3db peek in the mid 30's and then flatten out around 0-1db@ low 40hz

What ive been recommended for these in 1.5net @34hz, low pass the rca's at 160hz on 24db slop then set amp to 125hz/6db slop

with 14sqin port each sub

but it seem a bit peaky to me?

any thought on if that sounds right? or should i change it around a bit

Edited by john253a

If you build the box right and your panel seams are strong you will not need any bracing. You also will not need a double baffle. I suggest a nice birch ply but the classic MDF works as well. The model shows the "peaky" model still the loudest at 30hz which seems like a winner to me. You have 8s, flat means very low output unless you get it to peak where you want it to play.

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew