Running active?

So im getting ready to start the Mids/highs upgrades in the tahoe. i kinda want everything to match, as in RF 4 Channel and RF Power series componets. but i feel like i can get a better sounding setup and/or louder for less.

Ive been checking out the Sundown SAX 100.4AD, its priced well on woofersetc.com and has better crossover options. witch im guessing are needed for running active?

i was brainstorming a setup, 4 6.5" mids (one in each door) on the front two chanels, and the tweets on the rear channels. would that be ruuning active? using the amps internals crossovers for the mids and tweets? im used to just running 2 way coax. or componet sets with the included crossovers, so this is all new to me. but if it will sound better im down to learn and run active

Thanks for any help guys! :drinks:

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

i feel like i can get a better sounding setup and/or louder for less. You def could.

Ive been checking out the Sundown SAX 100.4AD, its priced well on woofersetc.com and has better crossover options. witch im guessing are needed for running active? Yes, it needs to bandpass the mids and highpass the tweets. The 100.4D does both. Wih the RF, youd need external processing.

i was brainstorming a setup, 4 6.5" mids (one in each door) on the front two chanels, and the tweets on the rear channels. would that be ruuning active? Yes, that'd be three way active. I plan on doing this.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

i feel like i can get a better sounding setup and/or louder for less. You def could.

Ive been checking out the Sundown SAX 100.4AD, its priced well on woofersetc.com and has better crossover options. witch im guessing are needed for running active? Yes, it needs to bandpass the mids and highpass the tweets. The 100.4D does both. Wih the RF, youd need external processing.

i was brainstorming a setup, 4 6.5" mids (one in each door) on the front two chanels, and the tweets on the rear channels. would that be ruuning active? Yes, that'd be three way active. I plan on doing this.

What is the diffrence between 2 way active and three way active? also if i wanted to run 4 tweets, 1 per door. could i run two per channel? even though it would drop the ohm load?

You could run two per channel. You just couldnt time align.

Fack, yea.. Ken is right... I was thinking about this the wrong way. Ive heard 2 way active setups, and theyre still like sex o the ear if tuned correctly.

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

It is active, but not 3-way active. On sax200.4, I have the tweets on ch1&2 hpf set at 3550hz using the cc-1. I have the mids on ch3&4 lpf set at 3550 and subsonic set at 45. This is 2-way active.

When I add my 125.2 and 3" midrange, I will lpf them at 5k and set the subsonic at 400. Then adjust the midbass and tweets accordingly.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

2-way, 3-way, etc is the number of drivers playing different freq ranges. Ex. 6.5's and tweeters=2-way

6.5's, 3's, and tweeters=3-way

Ah makes sense, thanks! if i decide to do this i need to order a CC-1 asap