I just went through every page of this build.. crazy!! i love it! nice work man! i wish i could do something like this.. i really like the plexiglass and mirror idea.. i was thinking about the same thing.. but theres a shit load of potholes here in NY and im not sure if a mirror would break or how the plexiglass would hold up.. any advice on this? is it a special kind of mirror and plexiglass?

Thanks! Appreciate the comment.

The "plexi" on the sub box is actually acrylic. Very strong, stronger than MDF, I do believe. Its not brittle like glass at all, its just a thick chunk of clear plastic.

No worries about potholes.

I had similar concerns on the mirror so its acrylic as well, just mirrored.

The mirror is 1/8" thick and is mostly flexible. You have to be careful when you cut it as the seam along the cut can chip. I screwed up an edge on mine by trying to treat it like glass by scoring it and trying to break it. Better idea is to just cut it with a power saw.

I've also just found out that the mirror is indeed plastic and is scratch-able. My sub wires have dragged a bit on the surface and have scuffed it. So not quite as durable as glass but easier to work with.

Got both pieces here:

http://www.estreetplastics.com/

Great prices and lots of options.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I just went through every page of this build.. crazy!! i love it! nice work man! i wish i could do something like this.. i really like the plexiglass and mirror idea.. i was thinking about the same thing.. but theres a shit load of potholes here in NY and im not sure if a mirror would break or how the plexiglass would hold up.. any advice on this? is it a special kind of mirror and plexiglass?

The "plexi" on the sub box is actually acrylic. Very strong, stronger than MDF, I do believe. Its not brittle like glass at all, its just a thick chunk of clear plastic.

The mirror is 1/8" thick and is mostly flexible. You have to be careful when you cut it as the seem along the cut can chip. I screwed up an edge on mine by trying to treat it like glass by scoring it and trying to break it. Better idea is to just cut it with a power saw.

I've also just found out that the mirror is indeed plastic and is scratch-able. My sub wires have dragged a bit on the surface and have scuffed it. So not quite as durable as glass but easier to work with.

Got both pieces here:

Awesome! thanks for all the info! i will surely look into that if i decide to go that route.. does the acrylic change the sound of the box? why not just build the whole box out of acrylic then?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

The mirror is 1/8" thick and is mostly flexible. You have to be careful when you cut it as the seem along the cut can chip. I screwed up an edge on mine by trying to treat it like glass by scoring it and trying to break it. Better idea is to just cut it with a power saw.

Got both pieces here:

Awesome! thanks for all the info! i will surely look into that if i decide to go that route.. does the acrylic change the sound of the box? why not just build the whole box out of acrylic then?

I was going to answer but I see you just saw Nautiluz's X5.....nuff said huh? :D

It's definitely possible but pricey.

As long as you keep the thickness equal to or thicker than what one would usually use for MDF/plywood (3/4" - 1") then it should be stronger.

:good:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

That's exactly how it is here haha. Nice all week and then shitty on the weekend. We really aren't that far apart man. I'm in Utah

Maybe one day we can meet up then haha. I'd love to see the car

Ahh right next door, yup I bet we share a bit of the same weather.

I've been monitoring the weather this weekend and its all over the place. One day its sunny and 60, the next rainy/snowy and 40, then 60 again............

Come on Mother Nature...I got shit to do!

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Got both pieces here:

I was going to answer but I see you just saw Nautiluz's X5.....nuff said huh? :D

As long as you keep the thickness equal to or thicker than what one would usually use for MDF/plywood (3/4" - 1") then it should be stronger.

lol i did.. that's another crazy build! i did check out the prices on the acrylic from the website that you gave me, so i now see why it's pricey lol.. i think i'll just stick one side of the box being acrylic lol.. also, i'm reading up that it's a pain to cut lol any more tips on that for me?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

Got both pieces here:

lol i did.. that's another crazy build! i did check out the prices on the acrylic from the website that you gave me, so i now see why it's pricey lol.. i think i'll just stick one side of the box being acrylic lol.. also, i'm reading up that it's a pain to cut lol any more tips on that for me?

Yep, do what I did. Buy a piece that's pre-cut to the dimensions that you can best incorporate into your sub box.

So, make the side of the box that you want to incorporate the plexi with MDF. Then cut a matching hole through the MDF with a lip that you mount the plexi to.

Basically the same process that I used on my rear side if my box.

You may be able to cut it just fine with a power saw and a nice sharp blade, I found a piece on their website that matched what I wanted so I just ordered that.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

You should be able to do it with a table saw and a fine blade I think, for plywood maybe. I can't recall correctly. I'm sure a quick google search would give you that info. I'm planning this too! Ooops shit, let the cat out of the bag!

Oh snap, I like me some plexi!

Can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

thanks for the help! i'll keep all your advice in mind when i do it

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

You should be able to do it with a table saw and a fine blade I think, for plywood maybe. I can't recall correctly. I'm sure a quick google search would give you that info. I'm planning this too! Ooops shit, let the cat out of the bag!

Oh snap, I like me some plexi!

Can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

Yeah things are starting to fall into place as far as a design, but I need some damn time to work on it. That's the main issue right now. Cause I'd like to have been done with the amp rack by now. But as they say perfection can't be rushed right! LOL

Archived