Need opinion on an alternator

So, I think i am going to replace my alternator. I was looking at this one since it is the only one i can find that isn't 65A. I am curious if anyone here has bought an alternator from this place and if they live up to their claims.

http://www.maniacele...ou120ampac.html

If anyone knows someone who carries an HO alternator for an 87 accord LXI with a 2.0 let me know. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I don't think i can swing more than $200 after the core is subtracted. If push comes to shove i might be able to just throw a GM alternator on there since the car is old enough to not have any fancy-pants electrical crap in the way.

Edited by strangeduck

200 for a HO alternator isnt enough for a quality alternator. Your probably looking at double that to have it done. Thou that would be for a 200amp or higher unit. If your looking for under that im sure it will be cheaper but not by a lot.

Edited by doeboy99

how many idle amps do you need?

how many batteries do you have to supply power to?

contact mike singer he will work with you

plus he has a lifetime warranty on all of his alts

also ask him if he has any subsidized alts (sometimes he has a few extra laying around that he will knock off 20-50 bucks off)

i got a 275a alt for my 97 jimmy for hell of a price (wont list it because its below his normal prices)

you cant really cheap out on this kind of stuff... but if you do want to go the cheapest route find the biggest OEM alternator that can fit your car and then look for one online from a reputable site...

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

check with singer alts, mechman, dc power to see if they make one for your car and how much they cost.

Singer will most likely cost the least of the 3 but you'll want to get quotes from each to compare.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

also ask him if he has any subsidized alts (sometimes he has a few extra laying around that he will knock off 20-50 bucks off)

i got a 275a alt for my 97 jimmy for hell of a price (wont list it because its below his normal prices)

you cant really cheap out on this kind of stuff... but if you do want to go the cheapest route find the biggest OEM alternator that can fit your car and then look for one online from a reputable site...

That's why i posted that link. The only oem's available are 65 amp. I did contact all of the vendors listed but i can't justify spending $400 on a 200a when a 65a cost $60, just doesn't add up in my book. 120 to 150 would be plenty for my needs. Thanks for the replies.

That's why i posted that link. The only oem's available are 65 amp. I did contact all of the vendors listed but i can't justify spending $400 on a 200a when a 65a cost $60, just doesn't add up in my book. 120 to 150 would be plenty for my needs. Thanks for the replies.

You gotta pay to play. That 65a/$60 alt is made in Mexico with cheap parts and is designed to just make the car run. The brands mentioned are built for high output with parts that'll last. Would you run batteries from Walmart just because you can't justify spending the cash for XS Power....a battery is a battery, right?

What are you running and what are your plans?

You gotta pay to play. That 65a/$60 alt is made in Mexico with cheap parts and is designed to just make the car run. The brands mentioned are built for high output with parts that'll last. Would you run batteries from Walmart just because you can't justify spending the cash for XS Power....a battery is a battery, right?

Yeah, i would run batteries from wal mart as a matter of fact.(i would love to have some XS's but can't afford them) You know, two kids, mortgage, car payment, bills, food. That stuff. Anyway, My alternator is on its way out and i'm just looking at options. Seeing how i'm on a budget i don;t want to buy an el-cheapo now then buy another in a year or two.I posted a link to one that's 120 amp for a good price. That should will cover anything i want to do.

As for the current draw currently. If you go by fuse ratings i will only draw about 80 with the amplifiers i have, plus the stereo and carputer plus the cars electrical. I'm not shelling out $400 bucks for a 200 amp alternator because thats ridiculous. I could see $200 to maybe $250 for a 200 amp. Anyway, i do appreciate the advice and i did contact all three of those vendors. So we will see what that brings.

Yeah, i would run batteries from wal mart as a matter of fact.(i would love to have some XS's but can't afford them) You know, two kids, mortgage, car payment, bills, food. That stuff. Anyway, My alternator is on its way out and i'm just looking at options. Seeing how i'm on a budget i don;t want to buy an el-cheapo now then buy another in a year or two.I posted a link to one that's 120 amp for a good price. That should will cover anything i want to do.

As for the current draw currently. If you go by fuse ratings i will only draw about 80 with the amplifiers i have, plus the stereo and carputer plus the cars electrical. I'm not shelling out $400 bucks for a 200 amp alternator because thats ridiculous. I could see $200 to maybe $250 for a 200 amp. Anyway, i do appreciate the advice and i did contact all three of those vendors. So we will see what that brings.

How do you figure that 120a one is going to be enough? From what you said lets add things up and say you're going to need 90-100 amps for the system alone. You really think that alt will be giving full power at all RPM's or that your car only needs 20 amps to run? There's a reason it came with a 60 amp alt stock....it's needs the power. Go with a 200a unit minimum, something that has decent output at idle. But hey what do I know....I only save up to get the good stuff once so i dont need to replace it a year later since I have a kid, mortgage, loans, bills, food and I'm a single dad. Yah, that's life.

you just dont understand why good HO alts cost what they do. the higher the amperage rating, there is way more heat generated from the alt. and that heat has to get drawn out of the alt as efficiently as possible.

lots of cheaper alts just have bigger internals but stock everything else. thats why it costs so cheap. cause they just take it apart and cram bigger shit inside of it with no engineering done. so its basically like a fucking oven spinning at like 5000rpm. its a meltdown waiting to happen. mechman and dc tend to make custom alt casings, designed to cool the alt internals down with a shit ton of air vents. custom products cost money and are reliable as fuck.

edit: think about it this way. would you rather have an alt that you paid 50 cents per amp or a dollar per amp, and you're 300 miles from home and it all of a sudden shits out on you. theres no way in hell you'll make it home on battery power, if the alt hasn't seized from heat. i'd rather spend an extra dollar or dollar fifty per amp for something that will work day in and day out with no worries.

Edited by Kranny