Second Skin Audio

instructions on building a wall inside of vehicle.

So I ordered my box design from ram-designs, however I underestimated the actual size of box and now I am forced to build the box inside the car. I have never done this and honestly have no clue where to start. I looked on the forums but couldn't find anything as far as instruction so here I am.

It will be purely a learning experience as you go, all walls are very different from eachother, recently I have found gorilla glue does wonders, expensive, but if you need something to hold its the way to go, havn't seen many people use it, heres the cons, amazing bonding power, it swells as it dries, filling in any imperfections, now I will also mention I have never constructed a wall from inside the car, but if I was, thats what I would use. In the past i've used it to fix where liquid nails failed, and it fixed the problem completely. Example, internal braces broke away from the screws, cause the hole baffle to start seperating from the box, gorilla glued it up, and re screwed, problem fixed.

All I can say is go one board at a time, be sure everything is lined up perfectly, let cure, then continue to the next, take your time, do it right. any minor air leak or flimsy board can make your SPL suffer. I had a 4db loss from what seemed to be a minor air leak.

you can make some temorairy braces to hold things in place, use a nail gun to hold things together and in place with the braces. they can be removed easily, and the very small holes can be filled in.

hope any of these suggestiions help.

And good luck on the build

XS-power1.jpg

I was in the same boat as you man. My wall build right now (the one in my sig) is actually the first box I've ever built. Now granted, it is a sealed box so it's one hell of a lot easier for me to build, but it's still a great learning experience. Go big or go home, right? lol.

Anyway, I'm building in car too. You need a false floor to get everything secured down to, and that false floor needs to be bolted down the car good. Once you have that its pretty much building a big box on that false floor. (at least in my situation.) What I did was just cut the pieces of the box out, and assemble them one by one. Started with the back of the box. Laid my bead of glue, and went to town. used some L brackets, a right angle and other things to keep the piece up and in position until the glue dried. Once that piece was in, it's pretty easy from there on. Cut pieces and do them one by one. L brackets, some clamp force and waiting. I thought it would be hella hard, but since mine is one big box, it wasn't too difficult. From the looks of it, yours doesn't have any crazy intricate corners following the contour of the car, that's where I think it gets harder.

BTW, I used Titebond II for my wall. Strong as shit, and any holes or imperfections from mis-measurement i filled in with Liquid nails. Once that was done, I glassed all of the edges/corners with 24oz Fiberglass mat.

I'm no professional, like I said. First box ever. Just tellin ya what I've done so far, and it's worked for me :)

EDIT: also, you gotta secure the box from a high point of the box to the car, like the back to rear pillars or something.

Just wait for a pro to chime in to give the ultimate say-so

Edited by Cardboardcat15

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/