Sonic Electronix

Alternator whine after installing speaker horns & 4 channel.

Hey fellas. Just got my horn speakers in and im gettin some pretty nasty alternator/engine noise. Wish i could give you a picture of the setup to see if anythings wrong but i cant so ill try my best to describe whats going on.

Ok first off ill list all the equipment i have.

Sony Xplod 12" - Yes i know :WTFBubble: (Hey, it was 25 bucks at the flea market and i didnt want to go without bass waiting on my next build lol)

American Pro Active xover

Quantum 800.1

Some cheap boss 4 channel amp.

Heres how i have everything wired. Postive on the Quantum amp comes from front battery into a distro block for everything else. Grounded to the body of the car. (No noise coming from subwoofer.)

Xover's positive is from the Quantums positive terminal. Ground is also on the Quantums ground terminal. I know, not a good idea but it seems fine with the subwoofer.

Now, the 4 channel. At first its power was wired at the xovers power, which is powered by the Quantum(lol....) same with the ground. Then i made the 4 channel have its own spot in the distro block, and its own ground. Helped a tiny bit.

Now, the remote wires are wired from the cars battery, to a switch, then it goes into the quantum, then the xover, then the 4 channel. I think when i hooked the 4 channels remote directly to the positive on the 4 channel, it got rid of the whine but still had popping. But this was before i gave the amp its own power and ground.

I know my wiring is pretty messed up but tomorrow im gonna give each part of the system its own power through the distro block, and each its own grounding spot.

The whine Does get louder/higher pitched when i rev the engine. All i need now is a fake blow off valve sound and boom! Got a fake turbo! :woot:

Come to find out it was the input RCA's. Now this has me puzzled. How can RCA's make that kind of noise alone? There was no visual tears in the wires. It did get squished by a metal peice but it didnt cut it. When i noticed that today, i moved the RCA's away from that metal peice and it seemed quiter.

• 1 month later...

S/n ratio is way higher than every piece in your car.

Means... You will have noise

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

did you run your RCAs and power wire right next to each other? if so, thats introducing the interference.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Archived