Sonic Electronix

Help with gain matching amp & bass knob

Well the title says it all. I need help gain matching my Crescendo BC3500 to my JVC KD-R80BT head unit. This head unit has a 4.8volt preout if that makes any difference. I watched some youtube videos and all said basically the same concept. Here are the steps that I got (please tell me if anything is wrong):

1 - take the square root of your rated rms wattage x your desired ohm load to get voltage (for me it is the square root of 3875 x 1 or 62.25volts)

2 - use a tone generator/audacity to create a 60hz sine wave tone that is around 60 seconds long and burn it to a disc

3 - disconnect all RCA's on the other amps except the one that you are gaining

4 - remove the speaker wires from the terminals on that amp and turn all gains/eq settings all the way down

5 - put the + and - of a digital multimeter into the + and - speaker terminals on the amp

6 - play the test tone on your head unit at a level that is not clipping and is your normal listening level

7 - slowly turn your gain up until you are within .01volts of that number you got in step 1

Is this the correct way to gain match your amps? And after you've turned your gain to that value, does changing the LPF change the gain enough to matter? Also, are you supposed to adjust your "Bass Boost"?

And for my second question, all of the amps that I have owned have come with a bass knob. The problem i've had with them is that they max out at less than a quarter turn on the bass knob. So if I have the bass know turned all the way down and start turning it up, it's at max volume before it even gets to a quarter of a turn. Does anyone else have this problem? And does anyone know how to fix it, if it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance if you can help me figure these issues out!

Sound Solutions Audio ZCON 18

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

Alpine/Pioneer mids & highs

4 group 34 agm batteries

Knukonceptz 3x0ga. terminals

Kicker/XS Power 0ga. wiring

bump. 46 views and no one can answer a question? :bull:

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

Thats too much math. I do

It by ear. Just remember. Distortion = Bad

You sir, are a failure.

Is there anyone else that can help?

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

DD-1 And CC-1

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

I have heard of that working. I used a dd1 to tune both my amps. And bass boost knob on an amp is usually not a good idea to use. The most I have ever seen someone use it was it set not even a quarter of the way up. If you can get your hands on a dd1 or an o-scope would be the best way.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

Well I'm extremely strapped for cash at the moment so a DD-1 and an oscope are out of the question. As for the bass knob, why would it not be a good idea to use one? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Why would amps come with a bass knob if they're not recommended? That makes no sense at all. I need to be able to turn my bass up and down without going through 5 menus on my head unit.

I'm still waiting for a reasonable answer. Saying that I need to go spend $150 on a DD-1 (sorry Meade) or several hundred on an oscope is ridiculous to just avoid distortion. Please take the time to answer! I'd like to get this figured out so I won't have to worry...

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

Archived