joblo1978 Posted May 21, 2012 Report Posted May 21, 2012 (edited) I have a DD-1 and will be tuning my first amp with it here shortly. I keep hearing/reading about guys who are running over the rated RMS on subs and speakers. They all say "keep the gains low" etc. etc. What does that mean if the point of setting gains is to match the output and input voltages? Why would you want to set gains any other way than with a scope or DD-1? Why do guys keep fiddling with gains if there is only one "proper" setting? I'm just wondering, if you set your gains with the DD-1, which is as high as possible without distortion, is this considered a "high" setting? "low" setting? I'm going to be tuning a T1000 constant constant power to to SD-2 10's and wondering if I should just shoot for the RMS rating on them which would more than likely have me running them at 4 ohms. Edited May 21, 2012 by joblo1978 Quote
meade916 Posted May 21, 2012 Report Posted May 21, 2012 If you are overpowering your equipment, the subwoofers for example, you can always use different tracks like 0db @ 40hz, (ON THE AMP setting portion where normally i use that only for the deck). That would "tame" them down the bass some and you would still be matched. Quote All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications! http://www.youtube.com/meade916 Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them http://www.instagram.com/meade916 The Official SMD Facebook fan Page https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/ Follow my Tweet (Twitter) http://www.Twitter.com/meade916
Real96SS Posted May 21, 2012 Report Posted May 21, 2012 I used -5db track on my 9k running 2 Fi BTL 18's and so far no problem.The cone get a little warm if I'm at full tilt for awhile but nothing that's not normal to me.Over powering your subs mean you need to know your system and its limits. Otherwise you will be burning up subs left and right and trying to blame the manufacture for something you caused. Quote Vehicle 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co) DNX9980HD 6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition) 3 DC 9k's 8 Nendo PWX 8's 4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters 1 DC Audio 175.4 1 DC Audio 90.4 Rockford 360.3 3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated) 21 D1600's 2 D4800's All SMD RCA's AudioTechnix Deadner Viper Alarm My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/ Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/
joblo1978 Posted May 22, 2012 Author Report Posted May 22, 2012 Thanks guys. Since this is my first build, I guess I'll just run it at RMS ratings and follow the instructions. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.