Sonic Electronix

Kicker Burning Smell Leading To Ruined Sub

And Never say never :)

You can use bass boost all you want..

1) I wouldnt have it at max

2) at higher volumes bass boost is really not needed.

That being said, if you have your gain set correctly and are pushing your amp at full tilt, turning that bass boost up will do nothing but clip your amp. Bass boost is best used at lower levels.

Well what about Maxxsonics (like Crunch and Hifonics) where you can run a wire that is connected to the amp to the front of your car and have a control bass boost knob. I always had mine on the highest and it never hurt the amp or the sub. Is this different with the Kicker Amp?

2008 Chevy Impala (undercover cop style)

Setup in the makings

Same type of knob, it controls the bass boost.

If your gain IS properly set, the full bassboost should affect your amp and or subs.

Pretty much to have your gain set properly is to tune your amp with the boost all the way up, and turn the gain up til the correct setting (using either a scope (the most accurate way), or a dmm (the next best thing from a scope)).

Using a DMM use this caculator to figure out your target voltage needed for your amp to put out its rms.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

My current amp bumping my dd is a RF t10001bd. 1000wrms by 1 at 1ohm. So I need to turn my gain up til i see 31.6 on my dmm.

Now if I am tuning it with my bass boost all the way up, I will not have to turn my gain up no where near as far as if I wasnt using bass boost.

I have my amp set at 32 volts on my dmm (digital multimeter) because some songs are recorded with lower quality and are quieter then others so you got to turn the main volume up a bit to compensate the low quality.

A small amount of clipping over a long period of time will most likely not hurt anything.

A large amount of clipping over a short time however will mainly hurt your subs first (with burned coils, tinsel slap and or broken leads, ripped spiders, etc) If your amp is clipping a lot you will most likely burn up some output mosfets and maybe a bit more.

Using a DMM use this caculator to figure out your target voltage needed for your amp to put out its rms.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

My current amp bumping my dd is a RF t10001bd. 1000wrms by 1 at 1ohm. So I need to turn my gain up til i see 31.6 on my dmm.

Now if I am tuning it with my bass boost all the way up, I will not have to turn my gain up no where near as far as if I wasnt using bass boost.

I have my amp set at 32 volts on my dmm (digital multimeter) because some songs are recorded with lower quality and are quieter then others so you got to turn the main volume up a bit to compensate the low quality.

A small amount of clipping over a long period of time will most likely not hurt anything.

A large amount of clipping over a short time however will mainly hurt your subs first (with burned coils, tinsel slap and or broken leads, ripped spiders, etc) If your amp is clipping a lot you will most likely burn up some output mosfets and maybe a bit more.

With hifonics I just turned all the gains half way up but had the bass boost all the way up.

2008 Chevy Impala (undercover cop style)

Setup in the makings

actually, the knob is a remote gain, not remote for bass boost. If you adjust gains with a DMM, ( a dealer can do this) and you add in bass boost, then you will need to lower, or re-adjust the gain.

I would never really use bass boost, much less, all the way up.

People hate dealers, but when you don't know what 'clipping' is, is when it's best to have a professional installer do it all for you. Not knocking anyone, just sheer facts. Because manufactures get the internet blame all the time for faulty products, when a majority of the time it isn't their fault.

Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!

With hifonics I just turned all the gains half way up but had the bass boost all the way up.

then 'luckily' you have not blown anything up yet. While gains at half, bass boost a full may 'sound' great, the woofer is getting a garbage signal.

then 'luckily' you have not blown anything up yet. While gains at half, bass boost a full may 'sound' great, the woofer is getting a garbage signal.

Then what should the gains be at if the bass boost is all the way up?.... and if im not usin the bass boost where should the gains b at?

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Then what should the gains be at if the bass boost is all the way up?.... and if im not usin the bass boost where should the gains b at?

way too many variables for me to say, hence why a local delaer can adjust accordinly with a DMM, matching to HU,etc.

I couldnt see you frying the amplifier there pretty tough the KX series a mean all kickers amplifiers are due to abuse every abuses them to the extreme i see people running the KX at 1 ohm are as stable as a 1 ohm should be. However the coil on a L5 will not be big enough to do major damage to the amplifier. You should of heard distorted bass and plus if you smell a subwoofer in future turn the gain down or boost off. Youve smoked your subwoofer by yourself i hope this learns you a lesson.

KICKER Livin' Loud

I couldnt see you frying the amplifier there pretty tough the KX series a mean all kickers amplifiers are due to abuse every abuses them to the extreme i see people running the KX at 1 ohm are as stable as a 1 ohm should be. However the coil on a L5 will not be big enough to do major damage to the amplifier. You should of heard distorted bass and plus if you smell a subwoofer in future turn the gain down or boost off. Youve smoked your subwoofer by yourself i hope this learns you a lesson.

Yea bro i def. learned my lesson. But i just bought an L7 12, what should i set the gain, the bass boost, and the phase on my amp to when im just breaking it in?

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Archived