Sonic Electronix

Kicker Burning Smell Leading To Ruined Sub

Hey guys,

I left a thread a couple of days ago about a burning smell that i was experiencing with my kicker l5 sub. The smell didnt go away, but i didnt think that it was that bad... so i just left it alone and kept using it. I only had it installed for 2 days and i started to smell it a lot worse tonight when it was hittin... i turned down the volume and i started to hear some weird noises coming from the sub.... i turned my music all the way off until i got home, i got out of the car to check the sub and my sub was totally fried. It is like it is melted in the inside... i tried pushing in the cone to see if to would move at all still and it didnt move at all.... its like the cone melted to something and its as solid as a rock now and is completely ruined. I had the sub running to a kx600.1 kicker amp, and i had the dual 4 ohm sub bridged so that they would run perfectly together, i am running 4 gauge wire and am running a capacitor with it... i bought the sub used, and im just hoping that the sub was the problem... not the way i have everything hooked up. If you guys have any thoughts or comments just let me know. Thanks.

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Clipping is what happens when you have your gains up too high, instead of a perfect sine wave, the amp puts out a signal that is flat at the top, instead of the curve. Think of it this way, though you can't see it, your sub makes its stroke up, and instead of immediantly coming down, is held at the top of its stroke. Same with the downstroke. This creates a lot of heat, just as if you put a constant dc current to a speaker. This is the way I understand it, someone correct me if I am off.

Clipping is what happens when you have your gains up too high, instead of a perfect sine wave, the amp puts out a signal that is flat at the top, instead of the curve. Think of it this way, though you can't see it, your sub makes its stroke up, and instead of immediantly coming down, is held at the top of its stroke. Same with the downstroke. This creates a lot of heat, just as if you put a constant dc current to a speaker. This is the way I understand it, someone correct me if I am off.

I am loganuf's friend and the amplifier's bass boost was all the way when the sub was overheated. Could this have been the problem?

2008 Chevy Impala (undercover cop style)

Setup in the makings

^ There's your problem.

Never use bass boost.

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

And Never say never :)

You can use bass boost all you want..

1) I wouldnt have it at max

2) at higher volumes bass boost is really not needed.

That being said, if you have your gain set correctly and are pushing your amp at full tilt, turning that bass boost up will do nothing but clip your amp. Bass boost is best used at lower levels.

Archived