Second Skin Audio

Box tune question

I finished buliding a box a few days ago, 15" h, 34" w, 18" d [~4 cu. ft. per chamber] to house 2 12" kenwoods, tuned to 30hz w/ a simple pvc port. The old box I had was about 1.56 cu ft per chamber tuned to 38 hz and sounded horrible imo, even though most of my friends praised it.

The sound from the subs is a lot louder, deeper, and less gainy now, but it's missing the mid-bass almost completely.

If I cut the port a bit to raise the box tuning will it play more of the mid bass w/o losing too much of the deep bass?

I'm a bit new to the box tuning concept. Any input would be appreciated, I'm here to learn! Thanks

-Each sub is recommended for 2 cu. ft. of space ported, tuned to 34hz (I tuned lower for for deeper bass)

-I'll be building a sealed box with the left over wood I think, so I can swap out when I'm feeling a need for sq.

In the old box the day before I build the new one, one of my subs' spiders fried because I was pushing them too hard in the tiny enclosure. Which is fine, because in the new box, the one good sub is louder than they were together in the old box. :morepower1:

Here's some random pics I took in the building process... looks like shit I know. Only spent about 8 hours on it.

05200651.jpg05234817.jpg

05203720.jpg05233848.jpg

Port tuning does not prevent your subs from playing midbass, unless you have created a design that has a large peak right above port tuning. In this case, you are still getting midbass, but the peak is overpowering it.

Looks like really small ports, and they are pretty much beIng block off once the box is in the car. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Port tuning does not prevent your subs from playing midbass, unless you have created a design that has a large peak right above port tuning. In this case, you are still getting midbass, but the peak is overpowering it.

Looks like really small ports, and they are pretty much beIng block off once the box is in the car. . .

I read some stuff bout the car being designed to block out the frequencies that are mid-bass, like the engine running and shit like that. any suggestions there? dynomat?

At first glance, it seems that you need lots more port area. Your box might be acting like a too-large, leaky sealed box.

I read some stuff bout the car being designed to block out the frequencies that are mid-bass, like the engine running and shit like that. any suggestions there? dynomat?

*Dynamat

Exersig.jpg

smd5.png

Archived