Second Skin Audio

RT Obcon Labyrinth Ported Box for 2 12" Alpine Type R's

Any thoughts on this box for my two older Alpiine Type R's? http://www.rtboxes.com/sub-boxes-woofer-manufacturer-dual-alpine-328/ I've not really heard much about this type of enclosure, but it looks interesting. I generally prefer sealed boxes, but many people have told me that Type R's are better ported. How would this box compare to a standard ported box. I would prefer more response and a smooth curve to SPL. Anyone have any experience wiht this box with type R's in it? Thanks

The tuning is pretty high, probably will just sound loud.

You're better off building your own box.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Sealed is the easiest enclosure to design/build and gives a flat response curve, but you lose a lot of output.

A properly designed ported box would give you the same response curve but greater output, and goes deeper.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

i have had a few ported and sealed pre-fab boxes and built a few ported and sealed as well and although ported boxes are louder overall my preference has been sealed . i should add the boxes i built were to manufactures recommendations . i don't doubt its possible to build a ported box that sounds good i just have yet to make it there

i have had a few ported and sealed pre-fab boxes and built a few ported and sealed as well and although ported boxes are louder overall my preference has been sealed . i should add the boxes i built were to manufactures recommendations . i don't doubt its possible to build a ported box that sounds good i just have yet to make it there

manufacturers recommendations suck most of the time for big name brands. like alpine, and kicker, and orion (off the top of my head)

if that is true how does one figure what to shoot for in building a box

ask the experts. they've built multiple different boxes for multiple different woofers to see what works best. Ray is one person that pops in my head whenever i think of a veteran.

Archived