Second Skin Audio

Box for SSA Icon 12"

So I just bought a new sub, SSA Icon 12" D1, and it should be here in a week or 2. I'm going to need help designing a box for it. The Icons are a SQ sub so I'm going to obviously want great SQ but also something that slaps. These subs are very good when it comes to lows, and I love lows. :)

Right now my current set up is in my signature, but I just sold my Type-Rs to a buddy of mine. The box thats in the trunk is 34x16x22. I dont want a box that big if I dont have to, but if I have to it's fine. It'll be running off the Kicker DX1000.1 amp that I currently have until I get enough money to buy another amp, most likely the Sundown Audio SAX-1200D or SAZ-1500D. I will be running the sub in series to get a 2 ohm load being my amp is only 2 ohm stable.

What type of box will be best? Ported, Sealed, T-Line, 4th Order? I'm not the best when it comes to knowing information on boxes.

So any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

Edited by AgentTyler

1998 Ford Contour

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P8400BH

Front/Rear Door Speakers: Alpine SPR-68 (Type-R 6x8)

Door Speaker Amplifer: Kicker ZX650.4

Subwoofers: 1 SSA Icon 12"

Amplifier: MB.Quart 1.1500d

Second Battery: XS Power D925

just to give you a heads up i bought mine a few months ago. it took them almost 2 months to ship

2005 ford explorer xlt limited 4x4

2 xs power d3400s

2 runs of shca

mid/ highs- infinity 6x8 3 ways

2 18 ssa icons

2 aq 1200.1 @ 2 ohms

10 cubes tuned to 36 hrz

Thanks for the notice! I hope it doesn't take that long. They say it'll be here in 2-3 weeks so I hope it stays true.

1998 Ford Contour

I believe ported offers the most advantages overall, sealed wastes a lot of energy and have limited LF extension, t-ines and bandpass result in big boxes and are much harder to build and not always you will get the desired results after all the work. With ported just keep group delay low for a SQ setup and will sound great and it's made only with 8-9 rectangular pieces of wood.. a weekend job if you are really slow.

Yeah my last box was designed by RAM-Designs, I really like it. Basically I'm just trying to find out what type of box this sub really likes.

1998 Ford Contour