A couple questions here guys:

I'm looking to install HID headlights on my Toyota Tacoma but have a few questions first, answers to any or all of them would be greatly appreciated.

How hard are they to install? If i put in my entire car audio system do you believe i have the ability to install them myself or do i spring for a little more and have a pro do it? I want to do it myself just would love some tips on how to do so?

Will HID's melt a stock headlight housing? Will i have to worry about heat issues?

Where to buy? Best prices for the highest quality headlight?

Benefits of having HIDs over halogens? My stock lights are dim and i need a replacement!

Thanks for your help guys!!

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

1 Rockford Fosgate P3 12 inch subwoofer

Custom built ported box fit to specs of subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate P400.1 Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Power 5x7

and 6x8

door speakers

Pioneer DEH-P4200UB Headunit

HID's are simple to instal.

im not sure on the stock unit melting. but i do know in my truck they do get extremely hot, but i have aftermarket headlights so i do not have to worry about melting.

as for a place to get them ive been told ddm tuning is a good place. but i buy mine locally.

and as for benefits. they are so much brighter.

Edited by WICK3DxGATA

99 Gmc sierra extended cab

front speakers: DB drive 6.5

back speakers: DB drive 6.5

amp: none right not

subs: none right now

Future

waiting to get my 2 skar vvw 8s installed

I've looked at install videos and seen how to do so and it doesn't look so hard. Not much to mess up. But i still don't want to put them in and the housings melt. Do you know the brightness differences on 35w and 55w?

and 6x8

door speakers

no im not to sure on the difference between the 35 or 55. ive had two different sets of 55 because thats the only ones the local place sells. i just know the difference between the colors of the bulbs.

Future

yes i had 6000ks first they do have a tint of blue. but most recently i went with 8000k and they are a little more white but to me they seem so much brighter, i am alot happier with the 8000k than i was with the 6000k.

Future

They wont melt your housing as long as they arent super close to the reflector or lens itself. I have projectors on my truck and was for a few months running them at 50w and the projector is so close to my lens that it melted them and made a bubble in the clear lens but never broke through or cracked it. The brightness is pretty noticable between 35w and 50w but i wouldnt do 50w for your low beams, id do 50w for the high beams and maybe fogs if you use them ONLY in fog. I have my low beams in my headlights installed in futurevision HID projectors (installing hid's in a stock housing is just retarded and will scatter and look like shit) and my fog lights are in the stock housing because i couldnt get them uninstalled to retrofit them but they are both 35w bulbs and 35w ballasts. My high beams are in the stock reflector housing since they are rarely ever used as my hid's by themselves shine for 3-4 blocks and they are 35w bulbs and are ran off a 50w ballast. Dont do this all the time because that increase in power will kill the lifespan of your hid bulb.

Also the biggest thing to worry about with hid's is melting your stock wire harness. Get a relay kit for EVERY ballast you run as to not melt your stock wiring since hid's draw a ton of power to kick on but once they are lit they dont draw much.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

not trying to thread jack this or anything but hey kickass audio i see you have a gmc but im not sure if it will have the same problem the gmc trucks have. i have a 2000 gmc sierra and when i turn my hids on both of mine dont always come on all i have to do is flash my brights and flash back and both of my hids will be on. do you know whats causing them to do that or what i could do to fix them. i arady have a relay that i bought from ddm and it didnt really help at all it.

Future

I want more brightness over color. But my lights will be the same light for both lows and highs since my stock lights are like that now. what does that mean ill have to do? any changes with that? is it completely useless to run hids in stock housings?

and 6x8

door speakers

with what he said i would not run HIDs in stock units but i see people o it all the time. i guess its really up to you. i just wouldnt risk it melting anything.

Future