Sound Deadening Help

thacarter546

I am wanting to start working on the truck again pretty soon. I have time, but not alot of money. I was gonna go to lowes and get some peel n seel or i heard there was some butyl based stuff at home depot? anybody have the name of this?

My question is this could someone please point me in the direction of a how-to ive never done it before. Also does the smell go away or will it linger? i cant afford to be dying from tar fumes because this is my daily.

I have a propane torch and propane. I figured i would need a roller is there anything else i would need? Also if there is another cheap alternative i would appreciate it. My truck sounds decent now and there arent very many rattles, I just wanted to lay down a layer to stop the few that are there.

Another thing on each panel there is a small square of what looks like deadening, but its pretty small compared to the panels. Can i lay peel n seel over this or do i have to remove it?

It only gets to like 100 here in the summer, so im not worried too much about the cheaper stuff fallin off

Guest MegaloManiac

for the amount of layers, time, effort, & problems that will happen using cheaper stuff you might as well save yourself all that trouble and just order RAAmat or Damplifier and do a single layer.

If you do some reading around you will be happy not using the peel N seal junk.

Ive read around quite a bit about it and was trying to decide whether or not to do it. There seems to be mixed views on it. If i have to spend more on it i honestly wont do it. I also want something readily available since i only have time off this week. I heard if you buy a 5 dolla can of metal prep and clean properly then heat that ish up nice when you apply it itll never come off.

Since its my daily the fumes are a legitimate concern. Also hard to explain to my gf (only other person that rides in the truck)

Guest MegaloManiac

Well you will be wasting a lot of time IMO to get the desired amount of deadener effectiveness you would want out of it. Using peel N seal would require several layers where as another (insert company dedicated into designing sound deadener) would only need a few layers at most for same if not better yet results in the end. Anything asphalt should not be placed in the car, you are asking for trouble IMHO. stick with a company that spends their time designing deadener such as raamat, second skin( i recomend the most), or cascade.

thats alot of money though. I cannot afford it. I was gonna lay one layer down. I just wanted to get rid of like two panels that vibrate which drives me nuts. the panel was gonna be off anyway this week.

Mr. WigglesDJ said he found some butyl based window flashing at HD is this worth looking for or am i just wasting time?

Im 18 and i dont have any spare money at the moment, i just figured if this would help out a bit i would try it. Im not looking for the best deadener in the world if ya know what i mean.

Should i not even bother?

Where is it 8:24 pm? its 2:30 pm here.

go to second skin audio and order a gallon of spectrum, it is a paint on sound deadener, and its about 50 bucks. You will get more for your money going this way, and you can get it right where you want it, and put it as thick as you wish. It will take a little time to dry being cold and all, but it is damn good stuff, and you will get what you pay for, a product designed for sound deadening and rattle elimination. VERY good stuff.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

I thought it was pretty easy to use, I was a first time sound deadener install when I did my truck, I still wanna get my firewall a little better , and maybe under the hood, but the spectrum is goopy and thick, yeah it can be messy, but simple to put on with a brush, although spraying is better. There is also spectrum sludge, which is more like a peanut butter consistency and you can put on some latex gloves and slather it on with your hands if you wish.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Archived