Second Skin Audio

Blown subwoofers?

hello smd i have a few questions i was wondering how you would be able to tell if a subwoofer is blown its a 10'' alpine type R ? because yesterday my friend came by an asked me if he could hook up his 2 kicker cvr 12's to my car to see if they worked well i hooked them up and nothing it felt like their was sand inside one of the sub when it would hit. an on the other one of the subs it didnt move at all it looks like the cone has been pushed in. an when i took the subs out the box i noticed that they were dual 4 ohm subs but only one negative an one positive were connected out of the 4 terminals on each speaker so i thought that was the problem so i wired each speaker down to 2 ohm each an then down to a final impedance of 1ohm an still nothing i sounded the same. so i hooked up my 2 alpine type r 10's to show em what they sounded like an only one was working i know everything is hooked up right because the car has not been moved in about 4 months its just been sitting an i have not messed with it. i just went to turn it on today an only 1 of the type R was working. what could be wrong??

Sounds like they are blown...and the original owner of those subs had them wired to only one side so it probably fried the VC and caused them to lock up. When we blew my friends comp...on purpose...you could stand on it and the coil didnt budge it was just stuck down. If it has any rub or "feels" like sand than its toast. Thye would be reconed if they were higher quality drivers but cvrs you just go buy two more for 140$ and call it a day.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

could anybody tell me about my type r what could be wrong with it? its not hard or anything their is no scratching sound when i push on it an they are not even a year old

could anybody tell me about my type r what could be wrong with it? its not hard or anything their is no scratching sound when i push on it an they are not even a year old

So have you removed it from the box to check to make sure a wire didn't come loose? While you have it out of the box, use a DMM to check coil resistance too.

no i have not moved it out i will be checking that. an i need to get a new DMM my old one broke. what other things can i troubleshoot for to make sure its not blown?

attach a 9 volt battery to the positive and negative terminals for a short period of time. If the cone moves with no scratchy noise its probably fine. No need for a DMM for this quick test.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

alright so i took both the alpine type R subwoofers out the box an double checked to see if everything was connected right an yes everything was connected right so i do the 9volt battery test an only one of my subs moves does that mean that my other one is toast? can it be fixed?