Sonic Electronix

hey guys I have a noob question here. I have 2 possible upgrades I am considering. I currently have a single polk db12svc 4 ohm in a sealed box with a fosgate p-300-2 bridged, I plan on either getting a second sub along with a custom ported box from dave the box guy and a kicker zx750.1 running these at 2 ohms or selling my current set up for a single high end 12 such as a DC level 4 or similar, along with a box from dave. I do not want to have to get a bigger alternator or extra batteries , my usable trunk space for the box would be 36x16x16 max . I am looking to have a good balance of sq and spl , maybe leaning slightly more towards spl. I previosly had 2 pioneer champion 12s and an El-cheapo 3000 watt amp in a sealed pre fab and it was mearly ok, I know dave can make some amazing boxes though. So out of the 2 builds what could I expect spl wise from each one? which build would be better? my car is an 06 pontiac G6 btw. Any other suggestions will be appreciated as well, thanks

i'd get the dc. no im not nut hugging brands, but its gonna be a better woofer than those polks. but you're gonna want to throw more power to it than 750w.

its always recommended though to do the big 3 when adding aftermarket amplifiers, which costs like $40-50 in materials.

and just a tip, you wouldn't know sq if it slapped you in the face. so i suggest you stop using the terms spl and sq.

no one can tell you which will be louder, etc. its impossible. unless you're comparing like 1 8 to 2 18's.

Edited by Kranny

You want spl but you don't want to upgrade your alt or batts? A level 4 is rated at 1400w and will handle more so it will laugh at that lil ass zx750 if you went that route you would need to atleast put a bigger batt up front. So honstly if you want to keep from upgrading electrical then get a second polk and run the zx.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

well the g6 batterys are small and the big 3 wont help bc its an pcm controlled alt you might gain .7 volts i would just go with an single 12" lev 3 in an ported box

1996 Chevy Tahoe

AKA My SQ Hoe

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Precision Power PC.18DS

MB Quart NA540.6

Skar Audio RP-2000.1D

55-3210 -  8 Inch MCM AUDIO SELECT

Rockville RXM64

Tymphany BC25SC06-04

Kenwood KFC-1795PS

well the g6 batterys are small and the big 3 wont help bc its an pcm controlled alt you might gain .7 volts i would just go with an single 12" lev 3 in an ported box

Yes it will, its not about gaining resting voltage but preventing drop when you have a heavy load.

You want spl but you don't want to upgrade your alt or batts? A level 4 is rated at 1400w and will handle more so it will laugh at that lil ass zx750 if you went that route you would need to atleast put a bigger batt up front. So honstly if you want to keep from upgrading electrical then get a second polk and run the zx.

completely agree here, if you want to lean more towards SPL with stock electrical (exception of big 3) then chances are you will be able to run a max of 600wrms to the sub with little or no voltage drop, this is if you have stock 90amp alternator under the hood. I did the same thing and I'm upgrading to DC lvl 4 12 also, but I'll be putting a battery in the trunk at least and getting a bigger amp to wake up the sub. that sub will be begging for more power in order for it to perform well at all. You won't see near full potential if you go the route that you want to go.

completely agree here, if you want to lean more towards SPL with stock electrical (exception of big 3) then chances are you will be able to run a max of 600wrms to the sub with little or no voltage drop, this is if you have stock 90amp alternator under the hood. I did the same thing and I'm upgrading to DC lvl 4 12 also, but I'll be putting a battery in the trunk at least and getting a bigger amp to wake up the sub. that sub will be begging for more power in order for it to perform well at all. You won't see near full potential if you go the route that you want to go.

600 is a little small. 1000 should work more than fine with an alt sized like that