Sundown Audio

Cliping meter?

siucsaluki11

Aside from the SMD VU din, which you need the dd1 for also so it is set properly, does anyone know of any sort of meter that will show you when you start to clip, or have the circuitry drawn up for one? I know AQ amps have them built into the remotes. But i don't have an AQ amp. Honestly, if i could get 3 LEDs running that would tell me when my bass, mids or highs clip (one light for each) that would be pretty cool, already got a spot i could sneak a little LED in there. Im sure if i spent enough time i could design a circuit, or have a buddy help me (Bio Medical engineer....) on the circuit design. But something would be nice so i know when I'm actually pushing my gear too hard. I run 3 way active off the HU, so i have a channel for high, mid and low coming separately from the HU, i could just do one for the bass, since thats what I'm worried most about, but having one for each range would be nice. Has anyone found any products ilke this out there?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

i would rather trust a dd-1 or a O-scope. but thats just me.

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

nothing. clipping can come from any piece in the line of audio in your car. deck, amp, line driver, EQ, signal possessor. so there isnt anything that is going to hook up and tell u other than the vu meter and like u said even that needs to be set up with a scope or dd-1. nothing thats just gonna hook up

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

Yeah, for setting gains, but not everything you play will be clean. Ive had recordings that were dirty as fuck, and even if your gains are set right, maybe you're material you're playing isn't clean (I'm in school for recording arts, so I've been paying quite a bit more attention to the recording/mixing/mastering parts of audio lately). Even if you set your gains right, you still run the chance of clipping. For setting gains, Oscope is king.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

nothing. clipping can come from any piece in the line of audio in your car. deck, amp, line driver, EQ, signal possessor. so there isnt anything that is going to hook up and tell u other than the vu meter and like u said even that needs to be set up with a scope or dd-1. nothing thats just gonna hook up

i expected some work up front to make it work. I was thinking something that could be inserted in the signal chain, after the amp, before the speakers. I didn't expect anything to be plug and play. I like the VU meter, but i run 3 sets of RCAs from the HU to the back, one for highs, one for the midrange, and one for the lows. So a VU meter like that one won't work for me....i think its time to hit the drawing board and see if i can't come up with some sort of concept and get some help from my buddy.

You shouldn't have to worry about every single channel of audio. Watch you midbass and subs like a vudin will do. It can be set with the dd1 or a scope. And if you don't have a dd1 or a scope to start with there's no way to know where clipping is actually happening. And if a file is dirty don't play it if it bugs you so much. If your filters are set right and gains set properly just let her rip. as long as you know your equipment you should be able to hear and tell and smell when something bad is happening.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

I've had no issues till recently. I put in a BRZ1700.1D at 2 ohms on my pair of clarions, and I'm afraid at some point i may over do it on them, they are kinda old now and have take quite the asswhooping. The things I'm worried about most are the subs and the tweeters actually. and trust me, i don't listen to dirty files, that was more of a circumstantial thing to show that there are scenarios where it could be useful. Also. I use my car as a reference for when I'm working on mixing down a recording. So i don't always know how its going to sound until its in there. My stereo in the living room, my bedroom my beyerdynamic DT770s and the ADAM AX7s and our barefoots we have at school all sound different. Which is why my car is a reference for me, i know how it is supposed to sound, so i compare it to all the others. I don't know for sure if it is going to sound dirty or not till i listen to it. Some systems it may not bother, others it may. audio is a tricky bitch. if i didn't like having my x-over in my HU so much, i would consider getting the VU din and just putting a 3-way active crossover in the back....which i may have to do in the future anyway, since it seems like having that built in is less common these days.

Archived