Sonic Electronix

shyne i think you were referring to installers institute.

i was planning on going there but im not sure now.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Car audio schools are a waste of time and money. I've worked with NUMEROUS "graduates" from mobile dynamics, ritop, and one out of florida I can't recall the name right now... they were book smart if you could even say that... zero hands on experience, no troubleshooting skills what so ever, and just plain not knowleadgable. Wow they learned a test that I passed on my first try.

Hands on experience is where its at... i started at circuit city for a few years, then moved to a custom shop. I love every minute of it, even if it is just a job for beer money/toys till I graduate next year and get my real job.

Goto college... get a degree... or if you really want to be an installer find somewhere that will take you on as an apprentice or something.

just my two cents(and almost every installer or shop manager i've meet also felt this way though ;)).

hey man i think that one from florida youre talking about is installer institute with the fish man and that guy from alpine who does all of their sema stuff. its almost all hands on with box building tuning and all wiring and installs. but it does have classes that arent hands on. it just depends on what you sign up for. www.installerinstitute.com

BRENT

1997 GMC Yukon
1-DC xl18"
Stetsom 2K5E
3-Kinetik HC1800's

1967 Pontiac GTO

I was considering this myself. Being that I wanted to end up designing and building the show cars like Alpine's Sinister 6 and so on, and that by the time I get out of this school, Ill have a BA in industrial design, I hit up a place near me in jersey; Mobile Technical Training. the absolute only reason I WAS considering going was to get MECP certified being that Ive been doing installs for 5 years and have worked in a CA shop in Philadelphia. But soon as I requested info, they wouldnt stop calling me. Like we're talking 4-5 times a day...but anyway, Id definitely go the route of becoming an apprentice at least. Every CA shop I know of is owned by guys who started out just like me. Just my 2 cents, good luck man.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

here is one in arizona...hear a couple of good things about it...

http://www.mobiledynamics.com/main/phoenix/pages/main.aspx

i plan on going there in june.........

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

Guest Nismofreak

I think SMD is a institute lol. If you knew me one year ago IDK wtf I was doing now thanks to the help of so many smd members, I learned so much and I really think if you spend time here you will learn alot.

Edited by Nismofreak

B)-->

QUOTE(Eric B @ Jan 3 2008, 06:06 PM) 223084[/snapback]
Well yea theres a few good established shops here in Iowa, AutoToyz in Coralville is nice, but its going to be hard just to jump in the game and compete with the other ones. But anout the rich bastards, In Iowa if there rich most of them are going to careless about systems and all that lol. Anyway good luck...

x2 on that bro, i live in central Iowa, and right around the corner from elite. I think right now in central you could not open a show and have it do well. True ice and elite are doing well but what about music on wheels, car tunes, audio king (Huge store when it was around) go in those shops on a Wednesday and see how hopping there business is.... I would say that since you already have the mower bro go out there and bust your ass, with the money you make from mowing get yourself a truck and plow and plow in the winter and keep the money rolling in and keep the car auido a passion/hobbie .As far as car audio in central Iowa right now, i think if you were to open a shop it would be domed... not saying this to get ya down, cause i myself have wanted to open a shop out here for a long time, but as it stands right now, i just dont think your shop would last long.

Good luck with whatever you deside bro

Ya thx a lot for the help guys. I do think i will pursue the lawn care road right now and maybe do some CA shop later on when i have more money. I will probably be able to make $60-65 an hour mowing, and thats pretty much what i can make in the instal business too right? so yah. i guess i will keep looking around this forum. I have already learned so much on here. Thanks again!!!

1987 HONDA CIVIC

(1) Pioneer Head Unit

(1) Kicker KX650.4

(2) Alpine Type E's

(4) MA Audio MA80XE's

sonypspowneryt6.png

hondaownercd0.jpg

gtaplayervz7.gif

bassaddictpm4.jpg

I will probably be able to make $60-65 an hour mowing, and thats pretty much what i can make in the instal business too right?

Hell no, unless you work at a REALLY high end shop that is always really busy.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000