Sonic Electronix

I know this doesn't technically belong here...

....but i didn't get any feedback in the Amp section, its kinda a slow board i guess...

So, in the past 2 months, my old sub amp died, bought BRZ1700.1D.....killed that cuz of too weak of an electrical system i think. So i bought an HC1400 for under my hood. I put the replacement BRZ (the one i got back after i sent in the fucked up one) in, and my new battery, had it running for a day and a half, and my alpine MRP-F300 died yesterday. My mids and highs cut out randomly but the bass still plays, so I'm assuming its the amp not the HU. If i turn it down, the sound will come back for a bit, then it goes, and i have to turn it down, it comes back, then it goes after a short bit.

Im looking to keep my budget to 160 for a new 4ch, looking at onlinecarstereo and sonicelectronix, I've had good luck dealing with both companies. Im looking at the Hifonics ZRX600.4, but since the ZRX1000.4 is only $10 more, thats a serious contender. But I'm open to other suggestions. Also, does anyone on here have any experience with these amps, anything you could say about them as to why to or not to get one of them? I only need ~50w RMS per channel, but headroom is nice to have, so I'm not opposed to getting the ZRX1000.4 and keeping the gain turned down.

Currently my BRZ is being run at 2 ohms, but in the future i plan on going to either a pair of 12s or single 15 at 1 ohm, and putting something new in the doors, hence me leaning towards the more powerful amp....especially since its only an extra $10. But if you guys can throw out some other good ideas for the 160 or less mark, making 50+ w RMS a channel at 4 ohms, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Have you tried to bypass the headunit just to troubleshoot it? Try to get a rca to headphone cable at radioshack or somewhere and plug it direct into the amp and turn it up to see if it keeps playing on the mids and highs or not. It almost sounds like you have a ground problem with your system if its cutting out at higher volumes due to it asking for more power but not getting it due to resistance in either the power or ground wires. Try to disconnect your sub amp since those tend to draw more current than the mids & highs will and see if the mids & high amp will stay on. If it does then the problem isnt with the amp or headunit, its with the power connections quality. Where did you ground the amps to? Did you measure resistance from one end of the ground to the amps negative terminal? Did you measure resistance in the power wire from one end to the other? I had an old sub amp that barely had any voltage drop but the ground was so crappy that it would just kill the amp when i had a heavy bass note hit. The amp would cut in and out with every hard hitting bass note until i fixed my ground to a better piece in my trunk.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

The amps share a ground, they go to the same grounding block and are grounded to the same spot. Yes i checked that when i did the install, its a good ground. I doubt it is the HU since i loose my mids AND my highs, which are run off 2 separate sets of channels (l/r) from the HU itself (CDA9887), rather than running rear speakers, i ran 1 set to the mids, 1 for the highs. and i loose both at the same time. Its not even at a high volume. I turned the sub amp off at the HU (it doesn't power it down, just doesn't send it signal) and it still happens. It happens as low as 15/35 (and i can't go past 17 or it WILL happen), and the internal amp on the HU has been turned off since i installed it, I've never used the interal power amp once. It doesn't matter if the sub amp is on or not, the 4ch cuts out. The amp has been installed for about 3 years now in this car, and I've had subs along with it the whole time. Even when i had the BRZ and my stock battery, i killed my BRZ, but the 4ch stayed strong. i think years of voltage drops have finally taken their toll on my poor little alpine 4ch. Good thing i have a new battery under the hood. but that does me fuck all worth of good without mids and hits.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Yeah it sounds like your 4 channel may be toast then. If you have a buddies car to borrow pop it in their ride and see how it works if its anything different before you shell out the money on another amp only to find out it still has a problem with your car. Amp issues are a pain in the butt.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Yeah it sounds like your 4 channel may be toast then. If you have a buddies car to borrow pop it in their ride and see how it works if its anything different before you shell out the money on another amp only to find out it still has a problem with your car. Amp issues are a pain in the butt.

i wish i had a friend with a system....i also wish i didn't have to completely pull out my rear seat to get to my amps....its a bitch to put back in....

i may just have to shell out the dough in hopes that it is the issue. theres no way for me to wire the HU to my speakers...well, there is, but it would take more time than i have to spare at the moment.

EDIT: Now that we have unofficially confirmed my amp is TOAST, any suggestions in the 160 range? The hifonics ZRX1000.4 looks good, but i can't find reviews on it.

Edited by siucsaluki11

Got in my car today to drive to the train station, amp cut off and came back then cut off and came back, turned it down, then said fuck it, i need to wake up, so i blasted Cyberoptics - Pimpin, and it didn't cut out anymore. WTF? I think its just on its last leg....

Get an mb quart onyx 4.80 from maxxsonics.they're like $118

2x sundown audio sa 12's

Crescendo BC2000

kinetik 1800, 1400.

Rockford punch 5,25 component set

MB QUART ONYX 4.80

Mechman 270a alt

On the ride home from the train today, my amp worked without any hiccups.... wtf.... I figured an alpine should last at least 4 years....especially if it hasn't been overdriven... Idk whats going on with it, but its working again....Ill check that amp out, i was looking at a few cadence amps i found online priced between 170-200

i dont know if anyone asked this, but are your grounds tight? paint sanded off? positive wire has tight connections from the lug on the front battery all the way to the terminal at the amp (this includes the fuse holder)?

i dont know if anyone asked this, but are your grounds tight? paint sanded off? positive wire has tight connections from the lug on the front battery all the way to the terminal at the amp (this includes the fuse holder)?

yes, i sanded off my spot for my ground and put about 6 scores through the ring terminal to hold it down (wanted to make sure it never came out, 6 may be more, but i know i put at least 3 in it) My power wire is nice and tight on the battery, all the connections, the batt to fuse holder, fuse holder to dist block, dist block to amp, amp to gnd block, gnd block to gnd are all nice and tight... When the amp was going out it just cut off and cut on. The way its wired, if the ground was loose, my subs would have cut out as well, since their power comes from the same dist block (though each has its own fuse, which are also nice and tight) and their grounds are ran to the same grounding block, and they share the same ground from there. It really is the most confusing thing ever to me. I really can't figure out whats wrong with it, and really don't have the time to at the moment. Its currently working again, as of 6am this morning, and thats when i was confused. Until it started working again, it was similar to how my kenwood just died. Which is why i was thinking maybe it was on its way out, but now i haven't the slightest clue.

And please, don't ask me for pics of everything, i really don't have the time to pull my back seat out and the box out of the trunk and everything. Currently in 8 classes, 2 of which I've had a to write a paper for every class for.

Edited by siucsaluki11