Clipping in songs

I recently was curious about what frequencies some of my songs were. So I found out how to use audacity. (We used it in school to record things, never knew that it could be so much more helpful) Anyways after looking through some settings, I found out a new tool. "Show Clipping" I almost crapped myself when I found out some of my favorite songs had so much clipping. I also realized why some songs sounded so louder than others, this was because they had a +3dB. Now I'm questioning how many of my favorite bumping songs have clipping in them. I guess I should be more cautious when blasting a song. Most of my favorite music is dubstep, which is produced by all sorts of different-experienced artists.

Does anyone have any input on this topic? I also found out that some other popular "bass" songs also had a significant amount of clipping in them.

Is this clipping something to be worried about? This is something I've just experienced so not sure exactly what to think on the matter. --Other than the fact that clipping leads(is?) to distortion which then noms on subwoofers.

Edited by DubinDodge

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

It's been explained in many threads that audacity doesn't really show the clipping you're trying to avoid. Use the scope visualizer in wmv to look for flats and plateaus for clipping.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

That's great to hear.... audacity had me really worried for a second. And is scope visualizer a program or? I'm a bit confused when you said wmv. I thought wmv was a file type

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

So I am to look for a flat line at the top/bottom of a wave, correct?

Yes...Right click on the now playing, visualizations, bars and waves, scope. If you know a song is clipped don't go full tilt, clipped signal from an amp is worse than a clipped song, unless there is distortion then don't even bother. Just search "Clipping" at the top right while in the Tunez section and you will find MANY, MANY, threads on this topic.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical