Sonic Electronix

Got a ridiculous hypothetcial question for the pro's.

EDIT: Just noticed I spelled "Hypothetical" wrong, my bad.

Alright, so to set up the question, I'm going to state a possible similarity. Also note, I am not as car audio inclined as I am in the computer world, so keep that in mind.

I personally am really big into computers, and I am a big "Overclocking" guy. It means you push your computer over it's stock performance, but the downside is heat and possible instability. For my benchmarking setup in my garage I use anywhere from Water, Dry Ice, to Liquid Nitrogen to cool my computer to get the most possible performance out of it. For my daily rig in my house I use a water loop to cool my processor that is running at 5.2ghz from a stock 3.3ghz.

So, this is the possibly ignorant, stupid question that may quickly be shot down, but I've thought a lot about it.

If someone were to somehow rig up some real-deal cooling system to a subwoofer (or amp), and I'm not talking about dinky fans, I'm talking a water-loop, or whatever it may be, would the sub and/or amps be able to be "overclocked?"

I know that say, the Ascendant Audio SMD 15" sub can handle 3500 watts of THERMAL rms power, as the description says. But if you were to cool it somehow, would it take more? Or does it just not work like that for car audio?

I am currently out of state so I don't have much computer access, but I will check back whenever I can.

Thank you to anyone who throws in their .02 :)

Edited by Raptorman

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

1. That's an insane overclock! Props!

2. In theory, that should work. Maybe some sort of closed loop oil cooling?

1. That's an insane overclock! Props!

2. In theory, that should work. Maybe some sort of closed loop oil cooling?

Thank you, I run a 2500k.

Just had another thought, the radiators would probably be gargantuan. My double thick 3x120mm Radiator is pretty massive and it only cools enough for around 400 watts of power.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

If thermal capability was raised, you'd start running in to mechanical limits shortly thereafter. So you might be able to cool that subwoofer, but you feed more power to it and push it harder, something mechanically will fail.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I don't think it would have to be THAT big. You can let the coolant get quite a bit warmer cooling a voice coil than you can cooling your CPU.

Plus, the water(or whatever you choose) and metal of the radiator would also have a fairly high amount of resistance to an immediate temperature change (I can't think of the word lol)

And: think about the surface area of the voice coil vs. the surface area of the radiator.

If thermal capability was raised, you'd start running in to mechanical limits shortly thereafter. So you might be able to cool that subwoofer, but you feed more power to it and push it harder, something mechanically will fail.

:clapping: This is what I was going to say. Thanks for saving me the typing lol

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I think it would work..like stated before bazooka used antifreeze through there amps never saw it in person with subs...I would like to disapate some heat out of my mayhem voicecoils

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I think your biggest challenge with this would be to find a way to effectively cool the coil without adversely affecting the mechanical movement of the subwoofer, and trying to keep the coolant separate from the cone/spiders.

I'm tuned in should you decide to do anything with this project :)

:clapping: This is what I was going to say. Thanks for saving me the typing lol

Isn't there a Soundstream sub that can take like 10k rms burps even though I believe it's rated much lower? (Just read this on this forum a week ago) Wouldn't that be an example of a sub that would benefit from the cooling because mechanically is seems it can take the 10k rms? Sorry, I'm quite the noob.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO