Are There Any Electricians On The Board

I wouldn't in anyway say that I am an electrician, but I know a lot about electricity, being that my father has been an electrician for over 30 years. Whatcha got? If I can't answer it, I can simply give him a call as he lives about 5 miles away :D

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Well.........At the present time....My Garage is wired on the same circuit as my Bathroom and Hall way...

NOT COOL...................

what I want to do is....................add,say.................a 60 or 70 amp panel.....in the garage...Feeding the garage panel off of the main panel ,in the house...

How do I do so..............Ive wired switches and outlets before.....I have enough sence to kill the power...when Im in there... :)

The main panel is on the north wall of the basement......garage is on the south end of the house....so Id have to make a run ......about 60 feet.....how big of wire do I need.................to feed the garage panel......

Basiclly i think i know how to do this....but i dont know how big i need to go....errrrrr.....anyone understand what im tryin to say

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........

Well.........At the present time....My Garage is wired on the same circuit as my Bathroom and Hall way...

NOT COOL...................

what I want to do is....................add,say.................a 60 or 70 amp panel.....in the garage...Feeding the garage panel off of the main panel ,in the house...

How do I do so..............Ive wired switches and outlets before.....I have enough sence to kill the power...when Im in there... :)

The main panel is on the north wall of the basement......garage is on the south end of the house....so Id have to make a run ......about 60 feet.....how big of wire do I need.................to feed the garage panel......

Basiclly i think i know how to do this....but i dont know how big i need to go....errrrrr.....anyone understand what im tryin to say

It will require you to add a circuit into the main service panel. After you do that, then you can have a sub panel and run a few circuits off of that. Adding into the service panel isn't as simple as say adding a plug or two but can be done pretty easy if you know what your doing.

Another thing to consider is, how big is the service panel now? 100 amp 200 amp? Most newer homes are cool with the extra power but older homes will have a tougher time to retrofit with older boxes.

If the box is real old, then the breakers them selves will hard to find as many of the companies that made boxes back in the day are no longer around. Zinsco brand comes to mind.

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Sounds like if the hall, bath and garage is all one circuit then it's an older home. Back in the day they liked to group the plugs like that for safety :rolleyes: They would run all of them together and have one GFIC plug to save money. Sucks ass cause all you get is one stupid 10 or 15 amp plug in the garage :angry:

You could easily add the plugs and lights you want, install the sub panel and then hire an electrician to do the quick hook up to the main service panel.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Ahh Square D.

Not much around here in Cali but they have a website so I'm sure there all over where your at.

Thats cool.

looks like theres enough room to add a circuit into the panel. A 50 amp would be more then enough for ya in the shop. Unless you got some big ass air compressor or something. Then I would look at a separate circuit for that.

What numbers are printed on the Main breaker up top? It looks like a 100 (maybe a 150) to me.

Bill's correct in what he is saying. Usually you can pop off the front of the panel, snap a new breaker in (of course you want to shut down the main breaker first) and then run wires from that new breaker to a new panel.

This circuit that is shared between the garage, hall and bathroom, most likely it is a GFCI, so if/when you run new circuits. I'd just leave that one alone and just add to the garage.

Here's what I would do. Grab a phone book and call up a couple of local electricans, here in CO they will do a free assessment. That way by talking to them, you can get some idea as to if you want to do the work or pay someone else. Honestly, it's not hard to do, pending on how much power you need.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

What numbers are printed on the Main breaker up top? It looks like a 100 (maybe a 150) to me.

Bill's correct in what he is saying. Usually you can pop off the front of the panel, snap a new breaker in (of course you want to shut down the main breaker first) and then run wires from that new breaker to a new panel.

This circuit that is shared between the garage, hall and bathroom, most likely it is a GFCI, so if/when you run new circuits. I'd just leave that one alone and just add to the garage.

Here's what I would do. Grab a phone book and call up a couple of local electricans, here in CO they will do a free assessment. That way by talking to them, you can get some idea as to if you want to do the work or pay someone else. Honestly, it's not hard to do, pending on how much power you need.

Good one.

and just to add, ANY good honest shop will do a FREE estimate. not sure where your at but out here in Ca, fake contractors are everywhere so look for a licensed one.