Sonic Electronix

My enclosure is 38" wide, 28" deep, and 14.75" tall. Port is 4.5" wide and 18.75" long with a 2" L port. It is just over 6 cubic feet.. Will this produce port noise? I can also move the port to 5.5" wide with the length going to 20"s. If somebody could help that would be great. Subs are also mounted on to of enclosure if that helps.

port size vs box volume doesnt have anything to do with port noise. Port noise happens from the much port velocity, not a clear air flow, too small of a port, etc.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

port size vs box volume doesnt have anything to do with port noise. Port noise happens from the much port velocity, not a clear air flow, too small of a port, etc.

Is my port too small or could I get away with that?

i try to stick to a 1:5 or a 1:6 port ratio with width:height. right now you're at a 1:4.167, so imo you'll be ok. it's still possible, but not likely

EDIT: too thin of a port could cause it also, even with the proper port area

Edited by Torres

i try to stick to a 1:5 or a 1:6 port ratio with width:height. right now you're at a 1:4.167, so imo you'll be ok. it's still possible, but not likely

EDIT: too thin of a port could cause it also, even with the proper port area

So..leaving it at 4.5" wide will be okay you think? I ask because this is my first ever box build and I really don't want to ruin all this time and hard work

it's ok enough to try it imo. i wouldn't want to go much thinner tho. if it's in a trunk, you most likely wouldn't hear the port noise if there was any anyways. althought the more square/round the port is, the more efficient it is. but i think you'll be fine