Second Skin Audio

going from 15 to 18, enough air?

Looking to try an 18" in my Camry trunk. It would have to be sub up and probably port back or side with a couple of 6" aeros. To get 6-6.5 cubes the baffle/driver has to be about 3.5-4" from the trunk lid, is this enough airspace? Current set-up is a 15" btl n2 sub back single 8" aero driverside and really like the way it sounds, just want a little louder. Box is 17"h x 34"w and 24" d and I might be able to get another inch or two on width and depth. Power will remain Sundown 3k. Leaning towards either another BTL n2 or DC xl.

Any reason not to shove an 18" upfiring in the trunk?

You're gonna have more rattle than sound if you fire that sub up into the deck lid! You have enough airspace it seems, but firing a big ass sub into the trunk will rattle it to shit.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

only thing I can think of is airflow around the box if it is that close to the lid and the port is back.

Also, how much space do you have firing that port to the side? You SHOULD have the distance of the diameter of the port before any obstruction. For example, it you're running a 6" port, you should have 6" of clearance before the side of the trunk wall.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yes I've got 8" now between the port on driverside and trunk, and I'd have at least 6-8" if port was on back.

I know the rattle will suck! I've got my trunk lid covered with a single layer of damplifer pro and it killed 90% of it with the btl firing back. I tried to get the rear deck with a layer, but it's not the best job and the rear deck is sort of hollow, thinking of foaming in and then putting another layer on it. The rear deck cover is what's killing it with the rattle, its one big piece of plastic with carpet on it. Thinking of getting some foam weatherstripping and putting under it anywhere it contacts the metal. Whole back flexes like mad, 3rd brake light broke off!

I have thought about doing 2x12" and sealing it off, but not wanting to spend 2x on subs is keeping that from happening, even though it would probably be the best.

Archived