Second Skin Audio

Anyone heard or running these? how do they sound, price per what you get looks badass, I think im gonna do 1 of these 10s sealed into the cab of the white car. since the seats lay down. and keep all the trunk space what size enclosure? not much info on the site, looking at the AQ 1200d to push it,

The fiancee is already complaining about the stereo as she has been driving it back and forth to work.

This should be a cost effective way to add some beats and maybe hit a SPL comp with it for fun

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

Hey man, I was thinking the same thing. Ever since I started getting into car audio ( not too long ago ) I started reading up a lot and what not now all my buddies and their buddies are coming to me for info and suggestion. A friend of mines was looking into getting 2 15 L7's and I was going to suggest these ( the 15 HDC3's ) since they are cheaper but I'm sure should get as loud or louder but i don't want to suggest something without some feedback on the subs. Tuned in for the feedback.

I have heard a pair of HDC 15's and they're loud, peaky, close your throat up subs. If you listen to a lot of rap they can make you smile. If you want detailed, warm, smooth, then these are not the sub for you.

Oh and before people say they don't or do get low, they'll play whatever frequency the box allows them to. Tune it low and it will murder lows (but people tend to say that you can tune them around 38 and somehow be loud in the high 20's. I doubt that seriously).

I have heard a pair of HDC 15's and they're loud, peaky, close your throat up subs. If you listen to a lot of rap they can make you smile. If you want detailed, warm, smooth, then these are not the sub for you.

Oh and before people say they don't or do get low, they'll play whatever frequency the box allows them to. Tune it low and it will murder lows (but people tend to say that you can tune them around 38 and somehow be loud in the high 20's. I doubt that seriously).

Thanks for the info but what exactly do you mean peaky??? and most of my friends do listen to a lot of rap and hip hop. I know what you mean about the enclosure too. Here where I live, kicker L7's are cream of the crop ( if you don't have them you're not cool ) and Ive heard some in pre fab boxes that sound real crappy and Ive also heard some in properly designed boxes that make them sound pretty damn loud and get low as hell. I like the subs but for like 350 a piece for 15's ( local shop price ) I could get a FI BL or a nice sundown or something.

I saw a video on youtube last night, I guy running 2 HDC 10"s from the trunk pulling 146.9

Another forum showed a build in a small suv with 2 hdc310's doing 153's no shit, he had 5k on them

Its all in the box, If you look on youtube too theres a single sundown SA-8 doing 150 in a small hatch back... its freaking impressive

Thanks for the info but what exactly do you mean peaky??? and most of my friends do listen to a lot of rap and hip hop. I know what you mean about the enclosure too. Here where I live, kicker L7's are cream of the crop ( if you don't have them you're not cool ) and Ive heard some in pre fab boxes that sound real crappy and Ive also heard some in properly designed boxes that make them sound pretty damn loud and get low as hell. I like the subs but for like 350 a piece for 15's ( local shop price ) I could get a FI BL or a nice sundown or something.

Peaky as in....some frequencies will be louder than others. If you played a sweep, it would get louder at some point. 99.99999% of all sub setups have a peak, so it's not a bad thing, but if you're looking for smoothness then the HDC ain't for you. It's not a bad subwoofer at all. It's actually very good at what it does (which is getting LOUD). I didn't like the way they sounded but that's just me.

I saw a video on youtube last night, I guy running 2 HDC 10"s from the trunk pulling 146.9

Another forum showed a build in a small suv with 2 hdc310's doing 153's no shit, he had 5k on them

Cuz they get fucking LOUD. We never metered the setup but they made it hard to breathe on just an AP1500d. They were tuned to 36 and peaked hard as hell (output dropped dramatically at about 32hz and under). I'm sure we could've rebuilt the box to make it smoother but there was no need, they were loud and the owner was happy.

EDIT: Oh and purplesyrup don't let burp scores give you a boner. Like the guy above me said one SA-8 has hit a 50 before but would you buy one and expect to do 45's on music? Nope. You're looking for daily performance so don't get sucked into burp numbers.

Edited by aN-i-No

Peaky as in....some frequencies will be louder than others. If you played a sweep, it would get louder at some point. 99.99999% of all sub setups have a peak, so it's not a bad thing, but if you're looking for smoothness then the HDC ain't for you. It's not a bad subwoofer at all. It's actually very good at what it does (which is getting LOUD). I didn't like the way they sounded but that's just me.

Cuz they get fucking LOUD. We never metered the setup but they made it hard to breathe on just an AP1500d. They were tuned to 36 and peaked hard as hell (output dropped dramatically at about 32hz and under). I'm sure we could've rebuilt the box to make it smoother but there was no need, they were loud and the owner was happy.

EDIT: Oh and purplesyrup don't let burp scores give you a boner. Like the guy above me said one SA-8 has hit a 50 before but would you buy one and expect to do 45's on music? Nope. You're looking for daily performance so don't get sucked into burp numbers.

Ohhh okay, I get it now thanks man. Okay So I know sealed boxes give a way smoother frequency response curve. I know it won't be as loud but would you say this would help the peakyness and still get decently loud?

where do you live, OK? I was in stillwater, OK for a year and a half at OK state for school, Kicker had a plant right across the lake from the disc golf course.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

ported boxes can be designed to give a flat response.

purplesyrup, if you are looking to be impressive, put a HDC3 10 on the AQ 2200 @ 1 ohm. these things love power. they are stiffer than you in bed with a hot chick. put it in like 1.5 - 1.75 cubes net and tune 35-38 and watch that thing get down. I have personal experience with the HDC3 10s and 12s. they hit lows like you wouldnt believe. but if you are looking for the all around sound quality stick with the DDs. aha. AQ makes a good woofer dont get me wrong but dont expect it to sound like your 95

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick