Sonic Electronix

Well, to start it all of, I made a post very similar to this about 3 months ago. That was me just bored one day and hoping for things. now that isn't really the case, I have a steady job and i need something to look forward too while doing tedious work. Here is my "dream", I'm set on a kicker l7, 12" that's just the sub i want, its different and I've read its a very nice sub. I'd prefer make a box myself with my dad, as we don't really have much in common and these little projects are always nice, but if a pre-made one is really needed i guess i understand. For a head unit, I've already found one i like and that puts out good power, but of course expert opinions are always great; (Keenwood Kdcx396; http://www.amazon.co...wood+kdc+x396..) and for the speakers, I'm freaking lost. I had the dimensions but lost them, had the build written done but lost it during a fresh install of windows. i have a 2001 mercury sable ls sedan.

Now that the stories out of the way, we are going to the quick version of this.

Budget: Id like to spend less than $800, I'm going to call $800 the absolute cap, but i would greatly prefer working for less time to get this thing.

Headunit: $139 http://www.amazon.co...nwood+kdc+x396.

Speakers: ? (id like something that isn't overpowered by the sub, but runs without loosing quality when the sub actually hits, aswell as not needing a separate amp, and would just run off the head units rms)

Sub: Any type of L7 12", i heard something about the 4ohm being better idk, like my name says i'm pretty clueless.. (a link to a good explanation of how ohm's work would be nice too (: .)

Side notes: i know that i'm going to need a dash kit, i've got that part figured out, but if anyone has suggestions on that aswell its appriciated.

Finally, i appreciate all time given here and am not going to abandon this thread like i did the last one. Thanks to anyone who replys (: Oh, and if this build isnt possible with $800 just tell me please, and I'm in Ohio if that has anything to do with choices on stores or shipping etc.

Edited by I Know Little

for dash kit you can go check sonicelectronix for thi.s in part of ohm go check the12volt they explane what is the difference between dual 4ohm and dual 2 ohm. for the speakers i would suggest some rf speakers. or jbl. (p600c are amazing) boston acoustic. look up at sonicelectronix theres alot of choice and reviews.

Cheap (kinda) speakers that get loud for the price ar the kicker ks series, the l7 isn't a bad sub by any means, but I would personally reccomend the digital designs 500 series 12". My brother ran a 15 l7 on 1200 watts rms and I currently am running a dd 512 on 350 watts rms. Although his sub was a lot louder, partly Because it was in a regular cab pickup truck whereas mine is in a trunk, my sub hits harder than all of friends who are running dual 12 rockford P2s and single 15 cvrs. The sub is only 100 bux, u can buy directly from the dd website, and u would also spend considerably less on an amp. The dd 512 bangs if u set it up correctly. My box is 2.5 cubes and a flare port tuned to 33 hz. Sonic electronix is great for a dash kit, wiring harnesses, etc for ease of install. Check out renegade amps and hifonics amps. Hifonics: bang for your buck. Renegade: produced by rockford fosgate, great, reliable amp, and its what I am running. That's just my little bit of advice. Good luck and let us know what u decide!

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

In my honest opinion I think an L7 as nice as it is might push your budget over the edge. What I mean by that is the sub is roughly 230 and to run it a kicker zx 1500 is around 400. But if you are set on a L7 do it and maybe find an amp that is a little cheaper like 1000rms. And I think you building your own box is a great idea. That's my favorite part of installing my system.

welcome to the forum. why would tou be set on a kicker L7? cone area is cool, but the sub as a machine is junk

SUBSCRIBE AT YOUTUBE! 18abVFL < CLICK!!

2005 Subaru Impreza

My build log.

Head unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695

Front doors- Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Prime components

Rear doors- Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch coaxials

Sub amp- Audiopipe AP18001d

Subs- Two American Bass TNT 10"s

Box- 2.6 cubes @ 34hz, 36in of port

Big 3 & run of Raptor 1/0 to rear powercell

TEAM 808 UPSTATE NY.

ab1.png

Can it be heard 2 blocks away, thats how i rate systems.

Well, after looking at the dd512 i think i'm going with that. its definitely a very cost effective sub, and from what ive seen it really packs a punch with only 350w rms. also, it means i'm going to get the system earlier than i would have with the l7 along with people saying the l7 isn't really the greatest. i also think i found some speakers, ill link you to them and get everyone's opinion.

Rear, cargo tray 2x: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18914_Infinity-Reference-6830cs.html

Front Doors 2x http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22625_Rockford-Fosgate-PRIME-R152-S.html

That was my next question. i am clueless on brands. i know im going to need a steady 350w rms amp though. im going to click around now, suggestions are great too (:

Also, does the amp need to be 350w rms at 4 ohms? because the sub is 4 ohms?

may sound like a dumb question but im pretty nooby.\

So if im understanding this correctly, this amp: http://www.sonicelec...-1-Amp-Kit.html would almost max out the sub?

Or would this be a better choice? http://www.sonicelec...PI-S850.1D.html its prefect for the sub itself but doesn't have a wiring kit and is a name i don't recognize.

Or this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32465_RE-Audio-DTS-1000.1.html

Edited by I Know Little

The sub is rated at 350 watts rms, but it can handle more once broken in... I run mine at 400 rms, never had the sub get warm at all even on 2-3 hour road trips with continuous bumping... I would personally go with the rockford u picked out, especially since it comes with the wiring as well. I didn't look to see what brand the wire was, if stinger or anything alike, it will get you by but it won't be easy to work with. But rockford amps are great, rarely overheat, unless run improperly. And they also put out the power they say they do.

As for impedence, you have the option to buy a single 4 ohm voice coil or a dual 4 ohm voice coiled sub. Definately purchase the dual 4, easy parallel wiring in the voice coils (+to+, -to-) to bring it down to 2 ohms, where the rockford amp is pushing 500 watts rms. Also makes it easier if you upgrade to a second sub in the future to wire down to 1 ohm on a better amp that is stable at that impedence. Obviously, you need to break in the sub, took mine about 10 days with steady increases on the power until it got to 350 rms, then bumped it up to 400 rms a month later. So you will have a little extra power to spare, but if nothing else, everyone knows rockford whether they are into bass or not, so selling in the future shouldn't be a problem as long as its still in good working order.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

So, your suggesting i buy the rockford amp, but control the power output with the bass knob and gradually increase? or is there another way? will they take 500w after being broken in?

and if i do do all of that with the rockford, is the bass knob controlling overall power? to where i could turn up the bass on my head unit without worrying about the sub getting too much power? and the wiring thing you just wrote made no sense to me.