Voltage drop problem BMW 325i

After installing Singer alternator, I have a problem with weak tension and belt slip. Right now I have stock pulley on, but also got a smaller one.

What happens is at idle it would charge at 13.7-13.8. When I rev engine up to 2k rpm it would go up to 13.8-13.9, but as soon as I let go gas pedal it would dip down to ~11v and climb back to 13.7-13.8.

I talked to Mike and he told to get a smaller belt and add another idler pulley. The problem is I don't have room for another idler pulley. I order a new smaller belt (stock is 60.5 and the one I ordered is 58.5).

What else can I do to get a better grip and tension?

e328c694.jpg

What pulley did he ship. It with?

What's your car idle at?

Why are you only getting 13.9 out of it

There are more issues than a belt there

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

He shipped it with 2 pulleys, stock(bigger) and a smaller one. Right now I have stock on.

Car idles at ~600-700

I don't know why it charges at 13.8. I asked Mike about it and he said that's just how some car work. Before, with old alternator, it would be charging at 14.0-14.2. He said that in order to get a higher voltage I need to put a smaller pulley on and drop a belt size.

The only thing I added was 1 run of 0 gauge wire running from alternator straight to back battery. (fused) along with the stock wire too.

They make a hydraulic tensioners for some of the bmw's, i just did a quick google search and another forum came up with it.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

The thing I don't understand is why does the voltage drop so low after I rev engine up.

My 320A Mechman spikes up to 15.5V when I punch the throttle but never drops below 13.8V (warm) when I let off the gas and drop to idle.

Given I have an adjustable voltage module with it but it sounds like you may have a flaky voltage regulator of you're dropping in the 11's by just letting off the throttle. :shrug:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The thing I don't understand is why does the voltage drop so low after I rev engine up.

My 320A Mechman spikes up to 15.5V when I punch the throttle but never drops below 13.8V (warm) when I let off the gas and drop to idle.

Given I have an adjustable voltage module with it but it sounds like you may have a flaky voltage regulator of you're dropping in the 11's by just letting off the throttle. :shrug:

How did you installed yours?

Took out the stock alt and just installed the Mechman with the pulley that came with it.

I left the stock control header disconnected. It came with an adjustable voltage module instead that I ran to a relay that's switched by my ACC wire.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Took out the stock alt and just installed the Mechman with the pulley that came with it.

I left the stock control header disconnected. It came with an adjustable voltage module instead that I ran to a relay that's switched by my ACC wire.

The pulley it came with is smaller right?

I tried both pulleys, stock and smaller one, and can't get the voltage to stay where it should be.

Archived