Sundown Audio

amp sooooo hot

PardeTime

x2 on strut tower. make sure you sand the paint off too where the bolt comes into contact with the metal. its virtually the best place to ground an amplifier in a car that does not have frame rails like a pickup truck, for example.

If you haven't done it yet, put a good ground from alt bracket to strurt bolt, Then add a run from alt+ to batts, then run a good ground from main battery to strut bolt.

on my honda, 65amp alt, i was running stock wires except the + from front bat to rear batt, and was dropping from 14.4 to 12.5. Amps got hot, etc. Upgraded grounds like i just said and now i drop from 14.4 to 13.8. Amps stay cool, except the class a/b that is bridged at 3ohms, lol.

edit "hinda" is spelled "honda"

So it's sounding like the big 3 is a must...I didn't want to get that crazy....damn.

lol its not crazy. its simple as fuck 99% of the time. its just 3 pieces of wire going to various parts under the hood.

Well, spend a little money on wire and terminals and a bit of time, or fry the amp and then what? Once it's done, its done. And you will feel better knowing it's done. Just take your time and do it right the first time.

Buy one of these for your drill and use it to clean the metal up around your strut bolts.

pACE3-980419t181.jpg

Most hardware stores sell them. Remember, shiny metal.

you can more than likely get away with 4 gauge fine. i've never really seen a stock alt over 160 amps, which is at the limit that 4 gauge can pass through.

Also o.p. your question comes up here about once a day. And I have yet to see one where the the o.p. actually took the advice and did it right and it didn't fix the problem. Most people, myself included, want to get their equipment in and start jammin'. Truth be told, the best advice for someone is to figure out what you want, plan it out on paper with the budget you have then start with electrical. The problem is, electrical is usually about half the build cost many times and that sucks, so a lot of people just get the equipment and put band-aids on things.

Just be sure to over build your electrical a bit so you can upgrade and add on later. A good foundation if you will.

Yeah, I've got one...I have no room under the Hood of this thing. And I'm going to have to remove interior to run that thick cable to the trunk...not simple.

Then pay someone to do it and don't ask about it here. Most of the guys on this forum are obsessed DIYers like myself, so removing an interior even is nothing intimidating. Just take your time and think everything over, don't lose removed parts, don't do anything you're not sure about.

I'm gonna hate

You said your ran 0 gauge from your stock battery in the back, what size wire does it have going from the alt to the battery in the back to begin with, i know some car markers do 2 gauge, but i could see some trying to do 4 gauge

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/