Second Skin Audio

12" Mojo box questions...and help?

Jay L.

Introductions first, the last time I messed around with car audio was maybe '91-'92. I had 2 12" Crunch subs in a band-pass, an Orion 2150, an Orion 280, some MB Quarts, and a couple others that I have forgotten, and an Alpine h.u., in a Mustang. Needless to say, I feel like a fish out of water nowadays, so many options....4k watt amps for $200, 1k watt amps for $600, 500-9500 series subs from the same manufacturer, and a different type of box for each letter of the alphabet.

My first plunge back into car audio was a couple weeks ago, 2 10" memphis m3's in a sealed box that was .65 ft. per side and were about 6 years old, and a memphis mcd-1000, probably the same age. Total of $300 from C-list. Went to the local audio shop, that I bought from 20 years ago and picked up a Kenwood 396. I used 4ga. +/-, wired the subs parallel, and the amp mono. Sounded ok for a day or two, but I wanted more. So out comes the 10's, and in goes a 12" CM Mojo d2 in a Memphis box. "Dang that port looks small for a sooo called 1100 watt sub.", is what I was thinking. I was wrong, it actually does out perform the 2 10's in my opinion, "but how can that box be right?" So the hunt was on for a different box, I found some box plans on DD's site, (because memphis doesnt have that info atleast that I can understandand) and built the box they recommend for 1 12". Although not quite as loud to the ear, it does rumble more. Now, after finding this site and doing some more reading, I'm wondering if this box is ok for this sub. I have noticed a slight dashlight dimming with the box change, they didn't dim with the memphis box. I have since purchased a 1 farad cap but not installed it yet.

The memphis box is 2.1 ft., the DD box is 2.5 with a much bigger port. I'm just curious what the recommended box would be for this sub, seems like it's at it's limits now powerwise. This is in an Explorer by the way, and Im really thinking that 2-15's or 18's are in my immediate future.

Can 2-18's make people want to "GET OUT!" of an explorer? Thats what I'm ultimately looking for. Until then, I want to get the 12" right. Thanks for any and all input.

Do your self a favor & return that capacitor & buy a agm battery.

& 2 18s in a good box with good power will deffiantly make people want to get out especially with a wall

1998 Pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged2 12" Obsidain Audio V.1 on a 2011 zx1500.1 at 2 ohms. 20ft of Knuconceptz CCA 0 Guage. 2nd Battery is a Shurken BT-120. Box is 3.5cu tuned at 31.8hz sealed off from the trunk. 14sqft of Dynamat on the Rear deck top & bottom. Soon to be more for doors/roof. Gets low & loud

Did a 140.5 Sealed at Battle of the boom in June 2013 dropping to 12.7v (need a alt mines going bad)

• 2 months later...

x2 Ditch the capacitor lol one farad is tiny.

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Archived